Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which language is more popular, Verilog or VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triquent

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
verilog 2 vhdl

Just took a verilog course last semester. Any one can tell me in digital design, verilog and VHDL, which one is popular in industry? Should i learn the VHDL if I want to find a job in industry in digital design area? :cry:

About Verilog and VHDL?

The verilog is the most pop in the industry.
more than 80%

About Verilog and VHDL?

IN terms of design verilog is easier (and some what
popular in the industry). But it is proprietary, as oppose to VHDL which is in public domain, so for the company who dont want to pay for licence VHDL is desirable.
The transition from VHDL to verilog is much easier than vice versa.

Re: About Verilog and VHDL?

triquent said:
Just took a verilog course last semester. Any one can tell me in digital design, verilog and VHDL, which one is popular in industry? Should i learn the VHDL if I want to find a job in industry in digital design area? :cry:

In general, Verilog is more popolar in ASIC design and VHDL more popular in FPGA design.
Verilog more popular in US, VHDL more popular in Europe

VHDL is indispensable for space/aerospace/defense sector. Verilog is more geared toward commercial systems such as telecomm and computer sectors.

Of cours, Verilog is more popular than VHDL because it easier to understand. However, VHDl is prefered to use in industry, especially in ASIC design.

In my opinion, if you are good at VHDL, you also become good at Verilog easily.

devrimaksin said:
IN terms of design verilog is easier (and some what
popular in the industry). But it is proprietary

Well, you are talking about a decade ago. Verilog has been an IEEE standard since 1995 - if I am not worng. There has been 2001 revision and now it is growing into SystemVerilog and Verilog 2005.

, as oppose to VHDL which is in public domain, so for the company who dont want to pay for licence VHDL is desirable.
Do you mean "license" for a tool supporting the languages? If so, Verilog is slightly better - Icarus, an open source tool, has both Synthesis & Simulation.

The transition from VHDL to verilog is much easier than vice versa.
Again sorry to disagree. Imagine you had enumerated types in VHDL - there isn't a direct counterpart in Vlog 1995, so it will be tougher to translate (not impossible). Whereas Verilog-2-VHDL is easier. But you are correct in another sense - if you know VHDL, picking up Verilog is lot easier than vice-versa

Ajeetha
http://www.noveldv.com

Unbiased comparison of VHDL, Verilog and System Verilog

verilog is more popular

Verilog is more popular in industrial sector.VHDL mainly finds it's applications in Universities and when you present any international papers VHDL simulation is mandatory :)

Regards
drdolittle[/b]

About Verilog and VHDL?

verilog is similar with c , it is easy to use

About Verilog and VHDL?

en ,verilog is use more popular than vhdl ,i think~!

About Verilog and VHDL?

in the European industry VHDL is the most popular, in the American one it is Verilog (my Experience),

so where do u wanna work ? :))

About Verilog and VHDL?

to learn one of the two is enough,
verilog is better.

About Verilog and VHDL?

Verilog is based-on C language and popular in US. VHDL is based-on ADA language and popular in Europe.

About Verilog and VHDL?

verilog is more popular, and better support

About Verilog and VHDL?

Topic locked.
/pisoiu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back