Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double load NPN amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

faustoleali1974

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sirs, i'm trying to solve an exercise for an exam but i doesn't really understand how to do it

The circuit below:
**broken link removed**
LINK TO IMAGE

The exercise text: FIND THE APPROXIMATE VALUE OF THE AMPLIFIER IN THE FIGURE AT THE FREQUENCY fr:

Rcllector = 1250 Ohm
Remitter = 250 Ohm
L = 100 uH
C = 500 nF
Bo >>1
Bo * Remitter >> Rpi (resistance between base and emitter in the small signal model of the BJT)
fr = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC))

The solution of the exercise says:

The frequency fr is the resonance frequency of L-C parallel circuit. At this frequency the collector impedance is purely resistive (i think becouse Rcollector has a infinite impedance paralleled) SO THE GAIN IS THE ONE OF A DOUBLE LOAD CIRCUIT:

gain = Av = Vo/Vi = - Rcollector/Remitter = - 5

Can someone explain how to obtain this last formula?

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 ----------

The formula is correct if I apply the small signal analysis that short circuit the supply with the ground but why must I obtain the gain with small signal analysis?

I don't want to cause confusion on your side, but - to be exact - the formula is not "correct".
It is an approximation, which in some cases may be accurate enough.
the following expression is much more exact:

gain=Rc/(g^-1 + Re) with transconductance g=h21/h11=Ic/Ut (thermal voltage app. Ut=26 mV)

You can decide by yourself if the approximation as mentioned by you is good enough;
that means: If Re>>1/g

Regarding your last question: "gain" is a small-signal parameter, since it is assumed that the input and ouput signal have the same shape (sinusoidal).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.