Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the minimum pulse width one can generate using a LM555 timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xambo

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the minimum pulse width one can generate using a LM555 timer? I could easily get down to 10 microsec but I want it to have 1microsecond. However, this doesn't seem to work by having a resistor reduced by a factor of 10. THe pulses start to have intermediate transistions and distorted. Please help ASAP. Thanks. :p-)

max speed of 555 timers

I could easily get down to 10 microsec.
Easy or not, that's also the minimum pulsewidth mentioned in the datasheet. (You may want to read it).
So you should go for a different monostable IC, e.g. from CD4000 or 74HC family.

site:www.edaboard.com timer

first of all go through the datasheet of 555 .

74hc 555 timer

use 74122, 74123
find it in 74HC series

sharp pulses using 555 timer

National Semiconductor makes a fast, low power CMOS version of the 555, the LMC555, which has an (advertised) top speed of 3MHz in astable mode:

**broken link removed**

false triggering of 555timer

Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me why does a monostable have a false triggering while reducing the time constant? I am having a family of timers.An astable that triggers a monostable which triggers 2 more monostable timers, one of which is there to introduce a delay and then triggering another monostable so that I can get two sharp pulses of variable widths and variable separation. The delayed pulsewidth starts to have an intermediate transition which stops it going below a certain pulsewidth by means of adjustable resistor.

Please don't suggest other means to do the same thing as its too late to make any major change.
Regards to all.

Added after 4 seconds:

Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me why does a monostable have a false triggering while reducing the time constant? I am having a family of timers.An astable that triggers a monostable which triggers 2 more monostable timers, one of which is there to introduce a delay and then triggering another monostable so that I can get two sharp pulses of variable widths and variable separation. The delayed pulsewidth starts to have an intermediate transition which stops it going below a certain pulsewidth by means of adjustable resistor.

Please don't suggest other means to do the same thing as its too late to make any major change.
Regards to all.

555 pulse width

May be you are working near the extreme working conditions. Quantitative values may help useful suggestions.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back