Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wideband Microstrip Bandpass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenzyz

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am new here.

I am doing "3.1-5.1 Wideband Microstrip Bandpass Filter" as my final year project. I am using ADS for the designing and simulation.

I had done a lot of the readings for the wideband microststrip bandpass filter. But I still do not know how to start the first step in the designing.

What is the first step for designing the wideband microstsrip bandpass filter?
Is it that a topology design should be determined first before start on the designing?
Or I should start with lumped component design then convert it into microstrip line?

Thanks you.

Hello,

The Best Microstrip filter book I like & suggest is "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications" by JIA-SHENG HONG and M. J. LANCASTER which shows step by step procedure using CAD tools...

Also Try using Nuhertz Filter Solutions Filter Synthesis tool....
Its great tool which can synthesize your Microstrip / Stripline Filters from specification & genartae ready to use layout
which can directly export the structure to Sonnet em project file & also you can quickly tune the circuit....

Distributed and microwave filters by Nuhertz Technologies
**broken link removed**

---manju---

ok! I agree with Manjunatha_hv'opinion. you can use cst microwave studio to design. cst and ADS have many tools to caculator parameter of filter. the first you should using tool of software to design. when you simulate succes, you should tru to know how to design it :)

Since you use ADS, why don't you look at "passive circuit design guide" ?? There are many types of MS circuits in that palette and take a proper one and design your circuit..
Last night, I have designed your fiter for fun...But you should do something by yourself...

Hello, I am new here.

I am doing "3.1-5.1 Wideband Microstrip Bandpass Filter" as my final year project. I am using ADS for the designing and simulation.

I had done a lot of the readings for the wideband microststrip bandpass filter. But I still do not know how to start the first step in the designing.

What is the first step for designing the wideband microstsrip bandpass filter?Is it that a topology design should be determined first before start on the designing?
Or I should start with lumped component design then convert it into microstrip line?

Thanks you.

The first step in designing your filter is to draw up a requirements document listing all the specification requirements for your filter.

Eg passband frequencies, insertion loss, stopband performance, VSWR, power handling, temperature range, size, cost, coneector type etc etc.

Then list some alternative filter types and give reasons why a microstrip filter is suitable for your design requirements above.

Designing the filter itself is pretty easy with modern CAD tools. The real skill and knowledge will come from correctly interpreting the requirements and being able to justify WHY you chose to design a microstrip filter.

Then you have to choose from the many types of microstrip filter topology and state which one is most suitable for your design requirements. Eg Stepped, End Coupled, Edge Coupled, Hairpin, Combline, Interdigital etc, etc.

Also you should list the good and bad points about the various topologies of microstrip filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.