Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why ICs color is black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why IC are black?

base on phys ,black thing dissipates more Q in dark

Re: Why IC are black?

anildesh said:
this is a good question .

well as far as i know the material which is used for packing is mica ,graphite so obviously there are black in color . and coming to cost analysis semiconductor companies are selling IC's at very cheap rates and they dont to escalte costs by adding color and some fundas to it

hope it is clear

Yes I think that black package is the most cheap one.

My humble opinion is due to light sensitivity. I saw already other colored packages, whose IC were not functioning correctly when package was exposed to sun light. Because sun light was causing (especially light sensitive devices) not functioning correctly. In some ICs package is white due to different reason. For example, in Optocouplers white resin means better reflection also with the help of white compound. So the light coupling much better than black mold. It is a desired effect and external light is kept out with package thickness.

Regards
Hakeen

Why IC are black?

the majority of the heat is conducted through the lead-frame (the pins) to the PCB. The plastic colour has very little impact on the heat transfer.

The real answer is given above by hakeen.

Bcz the manufacturer don’t want anyone to see whats inside the IC

Why IC are black?

Just a quick thought: The black material (whatever it is) may be better capable to block ambient radiation noise.

Why IC are black?

Little known rumor: Back in the 60's, black activist were working at IC companies and convinced them to use the color black to support their causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back