Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why I2C is faster than SPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhytr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
a question encountered in the interview

It usually is not

As Hardware SPI most likely is in the Mhz Speed , and I2C is either 100Khz or 400Khz.

Maybe on a slow ARM that has HW I2C and has to do software SPI , a 400Khz I2C could be faster. As i recall that an Arm is rather slow in softwarecontrolled "Pin-IO" on the pins.

My Atmels runs SPI at 8 Mhz (Tx) and 4 Mhx (Rx) @16Mhz Clock

/Bingo

Added after 8 seconds:

It usually is not

As Hardware SPI most likely is in the Mhz Speed , and I2C is either 100Khz or 400Khz.

Maybe on a slow ARM that has HW I2C and has to do software SPI , a 400Khz I2C could be faster. As i recall that an Arm is rather slow in softwarecontrolled "Pin-IO" on the pins.

My Atmels runs SPI at 8 Mhz (Tx) and 4 Mhx (Rx) @16Mhz Clock

/Bingo

Hi mhytr,

I2C isn't faster then SPI. As far as I know the I2C Fast-Mode specification says 400kHz, if we ignore start and stop conditions we will have 400000 bits each second.
With the SPI interface you can transmit date with several MHz clock and in some applications also in full duplex mode. You see SPI is faster...

Regards...

I don't know the max. speed of SPI.
But the I2C max. speed is 3.4MHz, not 400KHz. (Please reference I2C spec. V2.1)

[nemolee]
many of the I2C devices can work only with 400kHz or low SCL signal.
for example, in my design i use the 256K flash AT24C256. this flash are 1 MHz (5V), 400 kHz (2.7V) and 100 kHz (1.8V) compatibility.
my digital design use 3.3V and low voltages ->i can read this flash only with 400kHz or low SCL signal

Hi,
SPI is faster and simpler than I2C. Just check out this link. Very clearly explained.......

**broken link removed**

Best Regards,

SPI is faster than I2C . See good ppt -
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back