Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which PCB tool to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"ME"
P*otel runs quite slow if you have a very old and slow PC.

But you can order free trial CD's from both OrCAD and P*otel so you can try it out for yourself.

I have a Dual PIII 1Ghz , with 1GB Ram , and a Nvidia Gforce-PRO
is that enough for Protel ??

Hope to get either a P4 3-Ghz or an AMD-64Bit 3Ghz soon , witch will be better for Protel ???

/Bingo

Bingo600 said:
"ME"
P*otel runs quite slow if you have a very old and slow PC.

But you can order free trial CD's from both OrCAD and P*otel so you can try it out for yourself.

I have a Dual PIII 1Ghz , with 1GB Ram , and a Nvidia Gforce-PRO
is that enough for P*otel ??

Hope to get either a P4 3-Ghz or an AMD-64Bit 3Ghz soon , witch will be better for P*otel ???

/Bingo
Yes.

I have used Protel DXP on my laptop with Win XP, 1 GHz Pentium III-M, 384 MB RAM, and an Intel chipset graphics controller with 64 MB shared memory.
It worked on this laptop but it was very slow for PCB design and autorouting.
I think the biggest problem was the slow graphics card with shared memory and only 384 MB system RAM. With 64 MB shared RAM for the graphics card, then there's only 320 MB left for the system.
I had a lot of HDD activity because of the small amount of RAM. And the laptop HDD is only 4200 RPM which makes it even slower.

With a Gforce-PRO graphics card with its own RAM and 1 GB system RAM, then you should have no problems I think. And Dual Pentium III should be enough. Dual CPUs could probbly improve autorouting speed a lot.

@ME

I hope Protel will use both CPU's , there are a lot of programs out that only starts one Thread , so that makes no use of the Dual processor mode.

But then again , that also makes an OK situation in some aspects , because then i cant feel that the computer is doing anything , because ons CPU is used 100% by the app , and i still have a 1Ghz PIII for my own use.

I never have problems making DVD's or things like that because the task can just take one cou for it selve.

I will try out Protel , thanx all who have ansvered.

/Bingo

Can anyone tell me what are the prices for development of digital boards having BGA MCU with 388 pins/balls, SRAM, FLASH and controll logic? Or any schematic how to calculate price before design is started?

For High speed designs and Database Integrity Allegro with ConceptHDL is best choice.

Bingo600 said:
@ME

I hope P*otel will use both CPU's , there are a lot of programs out that only starts one Thread , so that makes no use of the Dual processor mode.
I don't know that, but you could try to browse Protel's website for the answer or try to mail them and ask.

simce said:
Can anyone tell me what are the prices for development of digital boards having BGA MCU with 388 pins/balls, SRAM, FLASH and controll logic? Or any schematic how to calculate price before design is started?
Please don't go too much off topic!
Start a new topic if you want to know anything about this.

For pads, the signal integeration tools is so so,but its sch tools is so ... .I suggest u to use protel for the sch input.

I have been using PADS for about 2years and feels well!

I think cadence is good choice for 14 layer PCB.
It is powerful for circuit design and simulation.
of course, it is a little complex to operate, but good things is always not easy.
only if you master it, you will be like a duck to water.

Well i just got Protel , and tried the Protel BenchmarkPCB it didnt finish , missed 2 tracks :-(

And i spend 2hr47min on doing it ...

Is it supposed to finish ??

/Bingo

In my opinion:

1. Orcad Capture for schematic input
Cadence Allegro for PCB layout
Cadence SpecctraQuest for integrity analysis

2. Mentor WG is a good option

Code:
On the Best PCB Layout system ... "The ansver still is 42".

Can I have the URL or web site of that particular PCB Layout system "42" ?

Thanks

:D

@johncsl82

Hope you are "kidding" ....

Its just a "saying" , basically meaning :
"If you don't understand the ansver , then rephrase your question"

Have a look at the book :
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by D. Adams

/Bingo

Does anybody has experience importing PADS PCB file to MW simulator like momentum?

KC_O_o said:
Does anybody has experience importing PADS PCB file to MW simulator like momentum?
This has nothing to do with this topic, please start a new topic for this instead!

so.... any recommendation PCB tool for someone that don't know anything about E&E

I use PADS too(POWERPCB+POWERLOGIC), PADS is very good.

are u?

1. PCAD
2. candence
3. power PCB

We all used allergo to layout PCB.

For Normal: Orcad or protel is enough, for High end : Allegro or Mentor WG, Pads PowerPCB is Also prefer.

My opinion for schematic, Orcad is the Best (very fast for learning and using).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back