Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB design tools

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using Xpedition PCB but I found some features are better in other tools.

If we compare with Altium designer and Allegro designer. How do we compare PCB design tools with respect to license cost and performance.

There has been previously a sticky thread "Stop the is xxx software is better than xxx software topicz"

The author explained it as follows: Please do not start any more of these topics unless you have specific questions or object for comparing between the software. In other words no GENERIC statements, give specific question and ONLY give specific answers based on your own experience with the tools. These type of replies which only say 'i agree' or 'xxx is better I think' are actually no better than spam because all you are asking for is an un-informed opinion.

If you have SPECIFIC questions like
EDA vendor A software cannot do 'function type', How is this done in EDA vendor B software. Then we will get usefull information and comparison.

The above thread is a bit too general, I think.

I agree with FvM.
If you compare ( preferably by doing a real design) all the PCB packages, you will find they all have positive and negative points... Cost of ownership can be determined by getting quotes from the vendors. How a tool performs, depends how well it is used... Personally, myself I miss the halcyon days of tape ups, a scalpel instead of a mouse:).

It sits with your requirements and use budget. Considering you have high requirements and budget; it is preferable to go through the trial period of all the software to make sure with what you are most compatible. In technical terms there are factors such as compatibility, ease of use, customer support and update requirements that need to be checked before finalizing any software.

I personally prefer Kicad for making my PCB designs as it helps in schematic capture, PCB layout, and 3D visualization. Also, kiCad has the community where professionals help whenever there is a need or query. Also, they continously comes up with user-friendly updates.

The cost can vary based on the specific features you need, the type of subscription (monthly, yearly), and whether you're a student, hobbyist, or a professional user.
It depends on your unspecified requirements. What are yours and your budget?

I would learn the tool, you have. I have found that, surprise, surprise, I have been able to lay out PCB's in all the PCB software I have used... None of them are perfect, the trick is to learn PCB design, then work with the tool, to achieve the desired finished PCB...

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back