Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Layout design for PCIe

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am running pre-layout simulation in LineSim in HyperLynx. I have attached the pre-layout schematic design created in LineSim. I am using IBIS AMI models to configure the Tx and Rx. I have run a sweep over the length of trace in 3rd layer. The simulation is passing for PCIe Gen 4 for a trace length 3 inch, 10 inch and also for 20 inch. I have enabled the option to remove non-functional part in the via and also the back drilling in the via. I am using high loss FR4 (Dk = 4.7 and Df = 0.02) to the simulations. The height and width in the eye diagram reduces when using 20 inch long trace in 3rd layer but still passing the criteria for PCIe Gen 4. Is that a surprise ? as we know that FR4 is high loss dielectric material and dielectric losses dominates the conductor losses beyond 4 GHz approximately but then how it passes PCIe Gen 4 ?

Attachments

• Untitled 541.png
    Untitled 541.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 55
The actual trace in the design would be around 3 inches. But I am trying to find in simulation where if fails when using FR4 as dielectric material. I was running the simulation without any Tx/Rx noise in the beginning. When I added 2 % of UI as noise at Tx and also at Rx. It fails for even 10 inches long trace on the main routing 3rd layer. I do not know what are the realistic noise models for Tx and Rx. Where can I find those ?

Attachments

• Untitled 547.png
    Untitled 547.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Untitled 548.png
    Untitled 548.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 43

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back