Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which inverter is better ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqildad

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which inverter is better either high frequency ferrite core smps or low frequency bulky iron transformer inverter .

As per my knowledge below are my advantages of high frequency smps inverter

1- high frequency inverter are cheaper
2- it occupy less space , easy to move .
3- ups base on smps charger can charge from low voltages as compare to bulky iron trans. base .

so my question is if high frequency ups/inverters are better then why many companies still manufacture ups with bulky heavy transformer . ???

The low frequency bulky iron transformer inverter has fewer parts.

It is a simpler design.

Its operating principles are easier to grasp.

It existed before the high frequency ferrite core smps.

It is easier to diagnose and repair. If the control circuitry fails, it is easier to believe a neighborhood technician would be able to put together a replacement oscillator.

Life of HF Inverters are comparatively less. Difficult to service. Even a good LF inverter can charge from 120V AC to 290V AC
HF inverters are highly sensitive to voltage fluctuations and lightning.

thank you BradtheRad , nikhilmahasvar for your reply in benefit of low frequency .

So it means " A new manufacturer should manufacturer low frequency inverter in mass production " ?? b/c of the above reasons ????

The modern and the old-fashioned each have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

In regard to which it should manufacturer, a business must do whatever allows it to stay in business.

The buying public has shown that when given a choice, they usually find the cheaper item to be irresistible.

Which inverter is better either high frequency ferrite core smps or low frequency bulky iron transformer inverter .

As per my knowledge below are my advantages of high frequency smps inverter

1- high frequency inverter are cheaper
2- it occupy less space , easy to move .
3- ups base on smps charger can charge from low voltages as compare to bulky iron trans. base .

so my question is if high frequency ups/inverters are better then why many companies still manufacture ups with bulky heavy transformer . ???

1) Not always. Depends on the design and the specific brands.

3) LF transformer based designs can be made to charge from low voltages. The ones I made work from 140V (all the way down to < 115V if mains low cut is disabled). Since most designs are based on primary side phase angle control, varying the transformer tapping voltage and the triac firing angle can be utilized to charge from low voltages. Care must be taken with peak voltage.

But in India since many years we are not using phase angle control for charging in Sine wave UPS's
we just boost the secondary side voltage by switching bottom side MOSFETS in the H bridge. And with out having any extra tapping we are able to charge from 120V onwards with the full charging current.

The modern and the old-fashioned each have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

In regard to which it should manufacturer, a business must do whatever allows it to stay in business.

The buying public has shown that when given a choice, they usually find the cheaper item to be irresistible.

so as per my costing high frequency inverter are cheaper so its best to manufacture?? or do you have any idea to decrease cost of LF ?

- - - Updated - - -

1) Not always. Depends on the design and the specific brands.

3) LF transformer based designs can be made to charge from low voltages. The ones I made work from 140V (all the way down to < 115V if mains low cut is disabled). Since most designs are based on primary side phase angle control, varying the transformer tapping voltage and the triac firing angle can be utilized to charge from low voltages. Care must be taken with peak voltage.

1-As per my costing low frequency ups are expensive due to bulky transformer ?? do you any suggestion how to reduce its cost ???

3-means both can charge battery from low voltage

whats your opinion which ups is best to manufacture in mass quantity ?

- - - Updated - - -

But in India since many years we are not using phase angle control for charging in Sine wave UPS's
we just boost the secondary side voltage by switching bottom side MOSFETS in the H bridge. And with out having any extra tapping we are able to charge from 120V onwards with the full charging current.

can you explain please . To use 120v taping for charging battery ?? what is the switching procedure of mosfet in this case ??

Also most important : we want to reduce the cost so i think eliminating single taping of transformer will increase H bridge circuit means extra cost ??? what you suggest ??

In a low-frequency inverter, the transformer is the heart of operation. Every parameter needs to be correct, and it has several parameters. You (or your technician) can expect to test many trial assemblies, before you have improved it sufficiently so you can market it. The goal is to avoid having your inverter break down in the customer's home.

A high frequency inverter can use a smaller, less expensive transformer. But then you need to apply greater knowledge and expertise, to develop a unit that can be marketed.

There are the technical factors. Then there are the real world factors.

Examples:

* Customer's ability to operate the inverter correctly.

* What safeguards you must install to prevent overloading, short circuits, etc.

* Ability of inverter to withstand wrong battery polarity, water damage, high voltage spikes, etc.

* Ruggedness of unit during shipping and handling.

* Your cost for units to be shipped.

* Your cost for defective units to be returned to you.

* Regulations. Such as, whether unit will still operate after being dropped 3 feet?

* Your own ability to make good on warrantee.

Some things will be easier when you make the unit lightweight.

Some things will be easier when you use simple construction.

You can boost the voltage by using same inverter H bridge. You just have to take a current feedback and switch the Bottom
side MOSFETS. Make sure that you are switching at less than 85% duty cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no in crease in the cost you can sense the current by using a LM358 which costs hardly RS 4. Your cost will in fact get reduced.

In embedded systems, the power consumption is a very relevant issue in such a way that the use of inefficient energy converters makes it less attractive product to the customer. Therefore you must consider for what target application such design would be applied.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.