Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the purpose of regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDF

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We can see in most systems, we have regulator, but why
we need this? What it can help us?

Thanks,

Every electronic circuit is designed to operate off of some supply voltage, which is usually assumed to be constant. A voltage regulator provides this constant DC output voltage and contains circuitry that continuously holds the output voltage at the design value regardless of changes in load current or input voltage (this assumes that the load current and input voltage are within the specified operating range for the part).

For more details goto:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

I've used the regulators.
In the occasion, when some special analog core need low or higher voltage,
than the Pad can supply, the voltage regulator is needed.

GDF said:
We can see in most systems, we have regulator, but why
we need this? What it can help us?

Thanks,

1. For shieding the noise from power supply for internal circuit because normally the power suppy is very noisy.

2. To power up low voltage device to avoid breakdown.

Unstable power supply voltage causes unstable signal parameters or erratic signal proccessing, unstable operation. Regulator low output resistance minimize parasitic feedback coupling through power supply line.
Most digital IC's require supply voltage with tight tollerances.

Borber said:
Unstable power supply voltage causes unstable signal parameters or erratic signal proccessing, unstable operation. Regulator low output resistance minimize parasitic feedback coupling through power supply line.
Most digital IC's require supply voltage with tight tollerances.

1)Compared to typical regulator, how about the output resistance of a battery?
For example, a Lithium battery.

2)What's the problem, if we feed the circuit only with battery?

Batteries have greater output resistancy and it is increasing with exploatation.

Replacing power supply with batteries has many issues. One of them is when you need 5V supply voltage for example.

What is the diference between voltage-reference source and a regulator?

Maybe the regulator-voltage output works like the supply voltage? and the voltage-reference source does not work like the supply voltage? the output voltage of the voltage-reference source is put in the base or gates of transistor for achieving constant currents?

thanks

Voltage reference sources main properties are precision of output voltage and it's stability with temperature and supply voltage. They produce stable and precise reference for proper circuit operation.
Ordinary regulators are used in power supplies.

Voltage regulater is used to provide a lower potential voltage for a required operation. Current transistors need a lower power supply, thus normally a high voltage like 3.3V, is converted to 1.8V for the operation. Sometimes, it is preferable to have a few voltage regulators in order for noise isolations from affecting the other blocks.

I have a question, any regulator can convert 3V to 1.5V efficiently without
or with only few external components?For example, one capacitor only.

Can you show us any example where you can set output voltage of regulator by changing capacitor?

GDF said:
I have a question, any regulator can convert 3V to 1.5V efficiently without
or with only few external components?For example, one capacitor only.

Converting 3V to 1.5V won't be a problem. You can do it with a conventional PMOS or NMOS power MOS with resistive feedback for constant voltage. You can refer to a few papers of voltage regulator design. Getting the output voltage accordingly by changing the capacitor is not possible, you only can minimize the ripple/noise of the output by changing the caps value.

Excuse me, maybe I mislead everybody because I'm not familiarized with
power ICs.

The regulator like suria3's description is easy to be realized. But the problem
is this kind of regulator suffers low efficiency. Any kind of regulator can convert
high voltage to low voltage with high efficiency and few external components?

By the way, I did a survey of power ICs. I'm confused by several products like
Regulator, DC-DC converter. What's difference?And, what's the same?

Thanks for your help.

you can use a 3-terminal device like a lm117.

GDF,

there are lots of jargon in power electronics and sometimes many different terms refer to the same thing. For example, a buck converter can also be referred to as a down converter (since its output voltage is less than the input voltage). It seems that the word "converter" and "regulator" is used interchangeably. Sometimes I see the word regulator associated with the low-power control circuitry used to
actually control (or regulate) the power conversion circuit.

As far as efficiency, dc-dc switching converter will usually give you much higher efficiency than linear regulators (like the 78xx, etc.). This is because linear regulators use the transistor in the active region (like a variable resistor) and generate lots of power loss in the form of heat dissipation. On the other hand, the switching converter uses the transistor as a switch (on=saturation, off=cutoff), thus dissipating very little static power.

Best regards,
v_c

GDF said:
Excuse me, maybe I mislead everybody because I'm not familiarized with
power ICs.

The regulator like suria3's description is easy to be realized. But the problem
is this kind of regulator suffers low efficiency. Any kind of regulator can convert
high voltage to low voltage with high efficiency and few external components?

It is difficult to achieve as you mentioned.

Switching regulators provide high efficiency. However, it requires a off-chip inductor, a off-chip input capacitor and a off-chip output capacitor. For some ICs, other external passive elements (e.g. feedback resistor, compensation networks) are required.

Linear regulators require a input and output capacitor (some linear regulator can even operated without a output capacitor). However, its efficiency can be approximated to Vo/Vin. Hence, in case your Vin = 12V and Vo = 5V, the effieiency can be poor as 41%.

So, pls tradeoff between area and power efficiency. Or, develope a new class of power converter :)

GDF said:
By the way, I did a survey of power ICs. I'm confused by several products like
Regulator, DC-DC converter. What's difference?And, what's the same?

Thanks for your help.

For this, please refer to the reply from "v_c", who does a explaination :)

Scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back