Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What RF connectors does an Agilent 8720D VNA have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkirkby

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm thinking of buying an Agilent 8720D Microwave Vector Network Analyzer. As far as I can tell, according to **broken link removed** the connectors are 3.5 mm, but a dealer who has one says they are 2.4 mm. I must admit, I could be mis-reading the Agilent data sheet, as it does mention some options, but as far as I can see, those options don't change the connectors.

Dave

8720D is almost certainly 3.5 mm. I have an 8720A and it is 3.5 mm/mates to standard SMA. Your dealer may be confusing it with an 8722D, which because it goes to 26 GHz has to have 2.4mm connectors.

BTW, did you notice someone elses comment that you need option 400 to do a TRL calibration on the 8720D?

8720D is almost certainly 3.5 mm. I have an 8720A and it is 3.5 mm/mates to standard SMA. Your dealer may be confusing it with an 8722D, which because it goes to 26 GHz has to have 2.4mm connectors.

BTW, did you notice someone elses comment that you need option 400 to do a TRL calibration on the 8720D?

Thank you. I'll confirm this with the dealer. One possibility is someone has replaced the connectors, though I think that is unlikely.

IIRC correctly, 3.5 mm should not be mated with SMA, as the tollerances on SMA are not tight enough and can damage the 3.5 mm connector. But on a used VNA, the chances of it being mated with SMA at some point is pretty high.

Yes, I did see the other comment. I think given my budget, I need to make compromises. I think the TDR option will be more useful to me, and the chances of getting them all is a bit remote.

Dave

The reality is that almost everything you measure in the real world has an SMA connector on it. In general you put high quality connector savers at the end of your flexible cables and use those for all but the most critical measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back