Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know what is this component ?

AngelinaV

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a close shot

T.jpg

There are three parts on the PCB where this component is located and this is the shot of it

TE.jpg

And this is another shot from the back of Heatsink

TR.jpg

And 2 out of 3 of the mentioned components are bulged and I took a picture from side and this is the shot (visible from left to right)

Bulge.jpg

And the PCB is for an electrosurgical device and I can't post the whole PCB because of company policy but I want to know what type of component are these since I couldn't find any info about them on Vishay

Why are you posting in RF forum, doesn't look like a RF PCA?
I guess it's a transformer (component identifier Txxx), e.g. gate transformer.

Hi,

common to all these "devices" is the 8 pin SOIC nearby. What is it?

I agree with FvM about "transformer". This also was my first guess.

I think I´ve seen similar devices before, but surely was 20+ years ago. Can´t remember exactly.
In the 1990ies I´ve seen similar bulgs on devices (non moded) on cases with thin walls after relow soldering.

Klaus

Vishay has a habit of licensing parts from other OEMs who designed the parts. These may have been originally from Pulse Magnetics but are most likely custom-designed and made to order since they do not appear in standard franchise catalogues.

Electrosurgical units are certainly RF and high voltage used to cauterize tissue. the circuit seems to use the necessary parts for high-voltage half-bridge boost regulators with isolation for the gate drivers provided by these pulse transformers. They may be rated by L [uH], DCR [ohms}, response time [V-us] and other parameters.

Somehow these parts expanded from overheating, which is not normal unless the short circuit detection/protection components could not handle the intermittent events that caused this. Finding out those circumstances of steady and transient currents would be useful for failure analysis and future prevention if you successfully repair this unit. Ask the surgeon.

Naturally, you may contact Vishay through purchasing or customer eng support to get a better answer.

This is a close shot

View attachment 186310

There are three parts on the PCB where this component is located and this is the shot of it

View attachment 186311

And this is another shot from the back of Heatsink

View attachment 186312

And 2 out of 3 of the mentioned components are bulged and I took a picture from side and this is the shot (visible from left to right)

View attachment 186313

And the PCB is for an electrosurgical device and I can't post the whole PCB because of company policy but I want to know what type of component are these since I couldn't find any info about them on Vishay
what is the use of this electrosurgical ? surgery , monotoring etc ...

this is just a complete guess.

the transistors on the Heat Sink are RF Power transistors, to develop a large RF voltage for use in electrocauterization.

but large RF voltages can radiate into the air, and cause interference with other systems, so the regulatory body requires that such devices oscillate at specific frequencies. 13.56MH is one of such frequencies. So there needs to be some sort of Phase Locked Loop that keeps the oscillator on frequency.

My guess is that the Vishay box is a VCO, running on 13.56 MHz. the chips around it are digital counter chips and phase detectors to form the phase locked loop. the output of the VCO is lower power, so it is fed to the transistors on the heat sink to amplify the voltage, and to provide significant output power to do the cauterization.

If i am correct, you can take an oscilloscope (AC Coupled) and probe the four pins on the vishay box. One will be ground. one will be a positive DC voltage (probably +5 or +9 V DC), one will have an RF signa on it. the other will be a "tuning voltage" which will most lkely be in the range of 0V to 9V DC and may change with time.

If you can identify what is going on with those four pins of the vishay device, and figure out the frequency, you can order such VCOs from other sources, such as Z-Comm, etc.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back