Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the particularity of a patent and a paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
publication vs patent

Hi all,
Who can explain what is the particularity of a patent and a paper ?
What they have in common and what they differ in ?
For researchers, which one is more important ? (obviously for industrials patents)
Thanks in advance.

vs.patent

this question puzzle me too....

patent paper first

i think for researchers papers r more IMPORTANT because it GIVES them A more broader PICTURE.....................

Added after 2 minutes:

the common thing between a paper and a PATENT IS DAT both are a derivative of a RESEARCHERS WORK.................

Re: Paper vs Patent

In most countries in the world you have to file a patent before you publish the paper ("First to file"). If you don't follow this rule, a patent application would be refused by the patent offices (it would not be regarded to be new), but this would only be an issue if you want to protect your IP.

The only exemption from this (to my knowledge) is the U.S. patent law, which allows the inventor to file a patent up to 12 months after first public use (demonstration), offer for sale or publication (i.e. paper). The basic principle behind this is called "First to Invent".

So please be aware, if you want to commercialize your invention, that you file a patent first in your country and then talk about it with the (scientific) public.

Paper vs Patent

Thanks jonlord for your important advise. I didn't know that before.

one professor who was lecturing us on ANTENNA AND WAVE PROPAGATION once told us dat every 30 sec there is one PATENT been submitted from various parts of the WORLD.

Paper vs Patent

Thanks joe1986,
Did you ask him my question ?
What was his response ?

NO BUDDY i didn't ask him this, i jus recalled HIS SAYING .................

Paper vs Patent

if there is a patent every 30 sec, how about the quality of the innovation? however i don't know what is the paper publishing rate, but guess that will be must lower than this. to my notion, the patent is to use results for commercial purposes and the task is more legal than technical ... quite the opposite is true for papers. however any other comment is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back