Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is smith trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenehhk

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
smith trigger

I am a beginner in electronic, I would like to ask what is smith trigger? What is the application?
Thx a lot~

trigger smith

I think it is called schemitt trigger

smit trigger

Thx:) All~
Is it means that the IC---LM311(Voltage comparator) is a kind of Schmitt trigger? Also I would like to ask what is the meaning of hysteresis? I know this term in Physics but why the Schmitt trigger has hysteresis?

trigger de smith

Hysteresis is the difference between the input signal levels at which a comparator turns off and turns on. A small amount of hysteresis can be useful in a comparator circuit because it reduces the circuit's sensitivity to noise, and helps reduce multiple transitions at the output when changing state.

Sometimes, in a discrete design, there is a need to add an external resistor between the comparator's output and the positive input, creating a weak positive feedback loop. When the output makes a transition, the positive feedback slightly changes the positive input so as to reinforce the output change.

The LM311 Comparator IC is NOT a Schmitt Trigger device, but you can use it in a schmitt trigger circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.