Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what FET is suitable for LED matrix display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthi_keyan

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai all ,

presently am design led matrix display system.i tried with 16*16 with ULN .its look brighter when a single row is powered while powering the 16 rows the current is not enough and LED lost its brightness .so i referred some topics they suggest to put a FET . i need a part number which is suitable for my application?

NOTE:i will extend my 16*16 up to 16*128.

regards,
karthikeyan

I personally do not recomend the use of FET in a matrix. I have seen the life of LEd's drastically decreasing when done. may be it is because, the FET's are forms of direct swicth in between without any drop. I have used MJE3055 for NPN or MJE2955 for PNP with best results and longer life of LED's. Cheers

karthi_keyan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FETs are promising slightly higher efficieny and cicuit simplification, because you don't need to provide a base current. Assuming
suitable current limiting, I don't see a particular problem of LED lifetime with FET multiplex drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.