Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does negative inductance mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
positive capacitance negative

i think we r talking about inductance(L) not reactance. So who wants to explain me energy stored in an inductor (w=.5*L*I²) ??

this means that negative inductance causes negative energy stored in inductor!!

there r some arguiing about this in physics.. For anyone interested refer:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-167245.html

neative inductance

zirtapoz said:
i think we r talking about inductance(L) not reactance. So who wants to explain me energy stored in an inductor (w=.5*L*I²) ??
there r some arguiing about this in physics.
l

I don´t think that we have a "logical" or a physical problem with a negative inductance.
The reason is that we have a kind of simplified wording to speak of a "negative" inductance. In fact, we mean that there is a minus sign in the equation desribing the relation between voltage and current: v=(-1)*Ldi/dt.
Thus, the factor (-1) forces the current to lead the voltage by 90 deg. That´s all.
As before, L is still a factor determined by external conditions and can be regarded as positive - without any problems with energy definition. But in this case we must not forget to allocate the minus sign to the expression di/dt.
Of course, by deriving the formula given above we have to change the direction of the current (or of the voltage) from the beginning if we try to describe a part which has the properties which we call "negative" inductance.

gamma=sqrt(z.*y)

LvW said:
zirtapoz said:
there r some arguiing about this in physics.
l

I don´t think that we have a "logical" or a physical problem with a negative inductance.
The reason is that we have a kind of simplified wording to speak of a "negative" inductance. In fact, we mean that there is a minus sign in the equation desribing the relation between voltage and current: v=(-1)*Ldi/dt.
Thus, the factor (-1) forces the current to lead the voltage by 90 deg. That´s all.
As before, L is still a factor determined by external conditions and can be regarded as positive - without any problems with energy definition. But in this case we must not forget to allocate the minus sign to the expression di/dt.
Of course, by deriving the formula given above we have to change the direction of the current (or of the voltage) from the beginning if we try to describe a part which has the properties which we call "negative" inductance.

Fantastic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back