Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PCB Layout software at home for practice purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
If you have a PCB layout program on your work PC, and just suppose you wished to use it at home (purely for practice purposes only, and not for making money), then presumably all you need to do is copy the install directory where its installed, and paste this onto your home PC, then you can start using it at home?, for the practice purpose. The license files appear to be in the said install directory. Or is there somethign else you need to do?

If I get good enough when practising at home, then I will obviously buy the said PCB package, but not before that.

it will depend on the software, and what "install" means
copying the directory may not be sufficient

check to see what the license rules are
unfortunate they're written in legalese and it may not be clear

as i understand the license rules for AutoDesk Eagle and Fusion360, as provided by my employer,
i can download them (i have) and use them on my home computer (i do) by signing in to the software
with my work credentials.

presumably all you need to do is copy the install directory where its installed
There is no software available with the lack of such an innocent copy protection mechanism. This is why there is the Trial version available for most of them. BTW, you have been here so long with your previous (excluded) account, time enought to show you are not a newbie professional; I'm surprised with the question.

Thanks, i'm pretty sure it wont work anyway......these layout softwares cant be run on another machine by simply copying over the install folder.

+1 for Kicad.
The problem with copying install folders is some OS also keep records of activity and configuration elsewhere in the filing system, for example the registry in Windows. Simply copying the program won't work or will only partially work.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back