Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Understanding BPF datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostMyKeys

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was looking for a passband filter for an X-band application and came across Mini-Circuits BFHK-1072+. The datasheet describes the typical performance parameters, but this is where I would like help.

Under "Electrical Specifications" the datasheet says:
Pass band, Insertion Loss, Typ: 3.1 dB

Then two pages later in the section "Typical Performance Data" the insertion loss is detailed for the pass band. It does not come close to 3.1 dB, but is around 2 dB to 2.5 dB.

How are these "typical" data to be interpreted and used?

Link to datasheet: minicircuits-com/pdfs/BFHK-1072+.pdf

Thanks.

Solution
the specification you really need to look at is the passband insertion loss of 4.5 dB maximum.
your system design had better be able to handle 4.5 dB insertion loss, or else find a better filter!

typical means if you took 20 filters out of a huge mixed up bin of these filters, containing various manufacturing date codes, you would probably average out at a 3.1 dB insersion loss.

the measured data on ONE filter, is almost meaningless. it is way better than a more typical one they will ship you. i think they publish it just to give you and idea of the rolloff with frequency without people bothering them by calling up.
I just looked through a hand full of datasheets for BPFs from Mini-Circuits. The bandpass insertion loss under Electrical Specifications are consistently 0.5-1.5dB higher than insertion loss shown under "Typical Performance Data".

the specification you really need to look at is the passband insertion loss of 4.5 dB maximum.
your system design had better be able to handle 4.5 dB insertion loss, or else find a better filter!

typical means if you took 20 filters out of a huge mixed up bin of these filters, containing various manufacturing date codes, you would probably average out at a 3.1 dB insersion loss.

the measured data on ONE filter, is almost meaningless. it is way better than a more typical one they will ship you. i think they publish it just to give you and idea of the rolloff with frequency without people bothering them by calling up.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back