Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Modelling a varactor diode based on the datasheet info

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadnounyah

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please I have been able to set the parameter values for the varactor based on the data sheet provided in ads and created hierarchy. The issue now is with validating the performance of the varactor with a suitable simulation set to get a graph of the capacitance against the voltage. All ideas are welcome. Thank you

Varactor diodes can be considered as simple SPICE based diodes.
If you know SPICE parameters of a varactor ( for instance Skyworks publishes these parameters in their datasheets ) you can enter them into SPICE model block of a simple diode model block in ADS.
Then bias the diode reversely and check the Cap vs. Reverse Voltage.

Yh
Varactor diodes can be considered as simple SPICE based diodes.
If you know SPICE parameters of a varactor ( for instance Skyworks publishes these parameters in their datasheets ) you can enter them into SPICE model block of a simple diode model block in ADS.
Then bias the diode reversely and check the Cap vs. Reverse Voltage.
I'm using a skyworks model and it's just as you said.
Now the setup for the validation in ADS is the issue for me since when I use a voltage source to bias, the data display generated doesn't give me options for plotting the cap vs reverse voltage graph. Thank you

Yh

I'm using a skyworks model and it's just as you said.
Now the setup for the validation in ADS is the issue for me since when I use a voltage source to bias, the data display generated doesn't give me options for plotting the cap vs reverse voltage graph. Thank you
Why ? If you arrange the set-up correctly, ADS will give you a correct analysis result.
Varicap_Test_SetUp.png

Varicap_Test_Result.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back