Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is the S21 of this 20 GHz BPF periodic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorgi3092

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am working in AWR and realized a BPF with coupled microstrip lines.
So, I have two schematics:
a) Ideal (designed with AWR iFilter tool)
1668686871248.png

b) Realized with microstrip technology (values were optimized)
1668686918687.png

Now, here is the resulting graphs
1668686985501.png

dashed regions are optimization goals that were used for optimization. You can see that the transmission coefficient (S21) of the microstrip version (last red line) goes back up to 0 dB at the end of the graph. Meanwhile, the ideal version does not do that (pink line).

Can anyone explain to me why S21 goes back up to 0 dB at the end of the graph? What is the phenomenon at work? How can this be improved?

edit:
here's the layout as well
1668687286386.png

Thank you,
Giorgi

This is an issue of the coupled-microstrip line bandpass filters, which suffer from the presence of the parasitic harmonic resonances.
There are many topologies on the net how to reduce these parasitic resonances, especially the 2nd harmonic.
One option to minimize the 2nd harmonic resonances is to use the topology (b) in the picture attached.

Attachments

• Coupled_Lines_BPF.jpg
    Coupled_Lines_BPF.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 103

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back