Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestion of a programmer for AT89s8253

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWhoF

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
at89s8253 programmer

I can't buy at89s53 and I have ISP programmer ( **broken link removed** ) but it can't do at89s8253.
Is there any programmer that can program this µC?

at89s8253

This simple programmer:
http://dybkowski.net/elka/ispprog_en.html
can program a lot of microcontrollers, including the AT89S8253 .. although looking at the date you posted this thred, this advice may be out of date ..
Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
si prog at89s8253

Thaks for the link.
I'll give it a try. :!:

spi flash lpt

One more thing – under no circumstances don’t play with FUSEBITS, that is, unless you have access to serial programmer to unlock this microprocessor once the FUSEBITS are modified ..
Otherwise it will be locked and you can kiss it goodbye .. :cry:

Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

problems programming at89s8253

Is it possible to modify my PGM programmer so I can use this Dybkowki's software :?:
Why are the fusebits so critical :?:

cpu reset for at89s8253

Which ISP programmer do you have in mind ? ISPPGM.EXE ???

DrWhoF

at89s8253 spi problems

Hi,
I have home-made programmer with PNP transistor, Fig.2:

at89s8253 isppgm

DrWhoF said:
Hi,
I have home-made programmer with PNP transistor, Fig.2:
the dybkowsky software provides for changing the pins used for each of miso, mosi, reset etc
please set them to suite your hardware, and there after you can program using that hardware wiring. perhaps he might have given an user setting that could be saved.

Sarma

DrWhoF

dybkowsky

That’s right, the Dybkowski software allows you to define function of the LPT pins, so the SPI-Flash programmer can be modified as follows:

Def. Strobe as pin.5
Def. Reset as pin.9
Def. SCK as pin.6

Leave MISO as pin.10 (the same pin is also defined as MISO in the SPI-Flash programmer).

To finish of the job you need a single-pole change-over switch [SW] that has to be wired as follows:
SW-Common pin connected to D0 [MOSI]
Dybkowsi option: SW-pin (NO) connected to LPT pin.16 and defined as MOSI
SPI-Flash programmer option: SW-pin (NC) connected to the LPT pin.7 (as it is in the original SPI-Programmer) ..

Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

at89s8253 isp programming

IanP said:
That’s right, the Dybkowski software allows you to define function of the LPT pins, so the SPI-Flash programmer can be modified as follows:

Def. Strobe as pin.5
Def. Reset as pin.9
Def. SCK as pin.6

Leave MISO as pin.10 (the same pin is also defined as MISO in the SPI-Flash programmer).

To finish of the job you need a single-pole change-over switch [SW] that has to be wired as follows:
SPI-Flash programmer option: SW-pin (NC) connected to the LPT pin.7 (as it is in the original SPI-Programmer) ..

Rgds,
IanP

I'm confused what should go where.
Can you draw a diagram :?:

programming at89s8253

DrWhoF said:
IanP said:

Def. Strobe as pin.5
Def. Reset as pin.9
Def. SCK as pin.6

Rgds,
IanP

I'm confused what should go where.
Can you draw a diagram :?:
Please appreciate that he is suggesting how to configure the schematic that you have wired, on the Adam dybkowsky programmaer software.

DrWhoF

at89s8253 serial programming

The attached drawing should clarify your concerns ..

Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

s8253 isp programmer

OK.
I modified my programmer as per your drawing and I can use it in the previous mode as well as in the dybkowsky-option.
It works fine with 89S52 and 89S8252.
When I try 89S8253 it says: Device not known [31,33,34].
Without 89S5253 the numbers are [FF,FF,FF].
:cry:

lpt at89s8253

Anyone ???

at89s8253 device signature

DrWhoF said:
Anyone ???

please take little more pain to study the relative differences from the programming angle, from the data sheets of these 2 devices. 8252 and 8253
Can you upload the exact way how you made connections by really tracing from your board. it helps trace why things expected to happen are not happening.
Mean time try to use the latest version of the dybkovsky ver 1.2.0.47 released in 2009

however another type is appended below and you may try it
the programmer hardware differs though.

DrWhoF

at89s8253 vs 89s8252

tO ADD ON THE FOLLOWING INFO COPIED FROM THE S8253 DATA SHEET IS APPENDED HERE FOR READY REFERENCE.

23. Serial Programming Algorithm
To program and verify the AT89S8253 in the serial programming mode, the following sequence
is recommended:
1. Power-up sequence:
a. Apply power between VCC and GND pins.
b. Set RST pin to “H”.
If a crystal is not connected across pins XTAL1 and XTAL2, apply a 3 MHz to 24 MHz clock to
XTAL1 pin and wait for at least 10 ms with RST pin high and P1.7 (SCK) low.
2. Enable serial programming by sending the Programming Enable serial instruction to pin
MOSI/P1.5. The frequency of the shift clock supplied at pin SCK/P1.7 needs to be less
than the CPU clock at XTAL1 divided by 16.
3. The code or data array is programmed one byte or one page at a time by supplying the
address and data together with the appropriate Write instruction. The write cycle is selftimed
and typically takes less than 4.0 ms at 5V.
4. Any memory location can be verified by using the Read instruction which returns the
content at the selected address at serial output MISO/P1.6.
5. At the end of a programming session, RST can be set low to commence normal
operation.
Power-off sequence (if needed):
1. Set XTAL1 to “L” (if a crystal is not used).
2. Set RST to “L”.
3. Turn VCC power off.

DrWhoF

signature no found +dybkowski

mvs sarma said:
DrWhoF said:
Anyone ???

Will try this one.

As I said, I can do anything I like with 89S53 and 52 and 51).
Can I assume that my hardware is OK :?:
As soon as I try the 89S8253 option it does say that the device signature is unknown and that is the end of it.

Thanks
DrWho

Added after 5 minutes:

mvs sarma said:
tO ADD ON THE FOLLOWING INFO COPIED FROM THE S8253 DATA SHEET IS APPENDED HERE FOR READY REFERENCE.

To program and verify the AT89S8253 in the serial programming mode, the following sequence
is recommended:
1. Power-up sequence:
b. Set RST pin to “H”.
If a crystal is not connected across pins XTAL1 and XTAL2, apply a 3 MHz to 24 MHz clock to
2. Enable serial programming by sending the Programming Enable serial instruction to pin
MOSI/P1.5. The frequency of the shift clock supplied at pin SCK/P1.7 needs to be less
3. The code or data array is programmed one byte or one page at a time by supplying the
address and data together with the appropriate Write instruction. The write cycle is selftimed
4. Any memory location can be verified by using the Read instruction which returns the
operation.
2. Set RST to “L”.
3. Turn VCC power off.

I don't want to go into it.
I assume that programmers offered on the web should do this for me.
Right or wrong :?:

at89s8253 signature

DrWhoF said:
mvs sarma said:
DrWhoF said:
Anyone ???

Will try this one.

As I said, I can do anything I like with 89S53 and 52 and 51).
Can I assume that my hardware is OK :?:
As soon as I try the 89S8253 option it does say that the device signature is unknown and that is the end of it.

Thanks
DrWho

Added after 5 minutes:

mvs sarma said:

is recommended:
1. Power-up sequence:
b. Set RST pin to “H”.
operation.
2. Set RST to “L”.
3. Turn VCC power off.

I don't want to go into it.
I assume that programmers offered on the web should do this for me.
Right or wrong :?:

No comments, as you don't wnat to GO into it.

Sarma

89s8253 flash

I use ISPPROG software with home made programmer like it is shown on Dybkowski's website:

as well as STK200 compatible one.

There were no problems with 89s8253.

Make sure that your CPU type choise is OK (just as shown on attached picture) and clock speed is limited. I was able to program 89s8252 using for eg. 6MHz clock but 89s8253 is programmed stable using 455kHz or less. I do not know why.

DrWhoF

isppgm.exe)

SP2QBN said:
I use ISPPROG software with home made programmer like it is shown on Dybkowski's website:

as well as STK200 compatible one.

There were no problems with 89s8253.

Make sure that your CPU type choise is OK (just as shown on attached picture) and clock speed is limited. I was able to program 89s8252 using for eg. 6MHz clock but 89s8253 is programmed stable using 455kHz or less. I do not know why.

if you read the datasheet for 89S8253 you find this statement

2. Enable serial programming by sending the Programming Enable serial instruction to pin MOSI/P1.5. The frequency of the shift clock supplied at pin SCK/P1.7 needs to be less than the CPU clock at XTAL1 divided by 16.

I have already indicated this in my earlier post
perhaps you did not want to even study what i said, as per your statement "I don't want to go into it. "

So I wanted to drop out any more discussion on that.

All the best.
Sarma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back