Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI interface - problem with parallel to serial converter (verilog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Araxnid

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.

I was working with spi module and encoutered some problem -
My code - SPI module(it's not finished yet):

Code:
module ParallelToSerial(
    input CLK,
    input [15:0]par_INPUT,
	 input enable,
    output ser_OUTPUT,
	 output SCLK,
	 output CS
    );

reg [15:0]load;
reg [6:0]counter;

assign ser_OTPUT=load[0];
assign SCLK=CLK;
assign CS = enable;

always @(negedge enable) begin
	load=par_INPUT;
end

always @(posedge CLK) begin
	if (enable==1'b0) begin
		load=load[0] & load[15:1];
	end
end
endmodule

and my top_module file:
Code:
module top_module(
    input CLK,
    output MOSI,
	 input test_signal,
    output SCLK,
	 output CS
    );

reg enable = 1'b1;
reg par_INPUT = 16'd3054;

always @(posedge CLK) begin
	if (test_signal==1'b1) begin
		enable = 1'b0;
	end
end

ParallelToSerial	u1(.CLK(CLK),.par_INPUT(par_INPUT),.enable(enable),.ser_OUTPUT(MOSI),.SCLK(SCLK),.CS(CS));

endmodule

So, XILINX ISE saying me that:
WARNING:Xst:1305 - Output <ser_OUTPUT> is never assigned. Tied to value 0.
WARNING:Xst:646 - Signal <ser_OTPUT> is assigned but never used. This unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:1780 - Signal <counter> is never used or assigned. This unconnected signal will be trimmed during the optimization process.
WARNING:Xst:653 - Signal <par_INPUT> is used but never assigned. This sourceless signal will be automatically connected to value 0.

I cant understand why its thinking that ser_OUTPUT is never assigned? Its assigned to load, and load shifts every clk cycle.... test_signal is special signal from my board which will pull down CS and activate SPI module. Can anyone explain what im doing wrong with this? Thanks.

You have made a typo mistake on 13th line of ParallelToSerial code file

It has to be
assign ser_OUTPUT=load[0];

You have made a typo mistake on 13th line of ParallelToSerial code file

It has to be
assign ser_OUTPUT=load[0];

Sorry, but i cant find any differences..

Did changing "OTPUT" to "OUTPUT" resolve the warning about ser_OTPUT being assigned but not used? To avoid typos like this, I recommend using "`default_nettype none" at the start of every Verilog file you create.

Your use of "negedge enable" as a clock is bad design practice. In this sort of design, everything should be synchronous to a single clock (and a single clock edge). You'll probably need to use a state machine for this design, too.

Did changing "OTPUT" to "OUTPUT" resolve the warning about ser_OTPUT being assigned but not used? To avoid typos like this, I recommend using "`default_nettype none" at the start of every Verilog file you create.

Your use of "negedge enable" as a clock is bad design practice. In this sort of design, everything should be synchronous to a single clock (and a single clock edge). You'll probably need to use a state machine for this design, too.

Oooh, i didnt notice difference between OTPUT and OUTPUT, thanks!!

And yes, now i think its bad idea to use nededge in design, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back