Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Spectral purity of a signal generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hafrse

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Have purchased a used Anritsu 68347B signal genrator, watching a trace on my SA at for example 2Ghz with RBW 3 Hz , span 200 Hz, I can see adjacent spurior signals at about 50 hz spacing, but att RBW 300Hz looks ok.

Attached two pictures taken att diffenerent RBW:

One at RBW 3 Hz VBW 3hz span 200hz and
One at RBW 300Hz VBW 300Hz span 20Khz.

Is that within specifications or I have a problem with the signal generator ?

Thnaks

George

Attachments

• DSC02207.JPG
    DSC02207.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC02208.JPG
    DSC02208.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 121

Your SA is probably mixing due to high input level.

Reactions: hafrse

hafrse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What is your mains frequency, 50 Hz?

hafrse

Hi,

My mains frequency is 50 hz, do I suspect power supply caps ?

Thanks

Found the problem, it was from the new aftermarket Vellman fan I installed in this unit, I need to find a good 120x120x32/38 fan...
Thanks!

Bad power supply would give 100 Hz rather than 50 Hz side band spacing. Also the modulation is apparently not exactly 50 Hz. Did you check with a marker?

Found the problem, it was from the new aftermarket Vellman fan I installed in this unit.
I guess driven by a BLDC motor.

hafrse

Or, is there any way to filer out the electrical noise from the fan ? it is a 24V 0.2A fan.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bad power supply would give 100 Hz rather than 50 Hz side band spacing. Also the modulation is apparently not exactly 50 Hz. Did you check with a marker?

I guess driven by a BLDC motor.
Thanks, how can I know what motor type if I want to buy a correct one?

A series choke can help. But are you sure that the problem is electrical noise? It can be rotating magnetical field as well.

Modern DC fans have always BLDC drives. They are generating a lot of electrical noise and magnetical disturbances, too. I remember a case where a 2,5" HDD drive mounted near to a DC fan lost most of it's data throughput when the fan was running, apparently caused by magnetical disturbances. The problem could be fixed by a magnetic shield.

hafrse

A series choke can help. But are you sure that the problem is electrical noise? It can be rotating magnetical field as well.

Modern DC fans have always BLDC drives. They are generating a lot of electrical noise and magnetical disturbances, too. I remember a case where a 2,5" HDD drive mounted near to a DC fan lost most of it's data throughput when the fan was running, apparently caused by magnetical disturbances. The problem could be fixed by a magnetic shield.

I am not sure if it is pure electrical, will take away the fan and connect it from outside the instrumnent. The problem is that the fan is neer the YIG and the old fan (made by Papst) had a circular metal plate glued to the back side of the motor, I took it away and did the same with the new fan, see the picture

Attachments

• DSC02213.JPG
    DSC02213.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 95

yes, the old time fans actually had some very nice low noise and vibration isolation technology in them. It is not easy to find a good replacement nowadays.

hafrse

Hi,

My mains frequency is 50 hz, do I suspect power supply caps ?

Thanks

BLDC fans unless exactly 1500 or 3000 RPM will not be your 50 Hz problem.

It will be either radiated from poor shielding or ground connections or conducted from poor filtering such as aged ESR in large electrolytics. Consider replacing all with high quality caps with low ESR, high temp types for supply filters.

Only you can tell by changing the method of grounding or isolation from magnetic lines of fields of 60Hz

If it were Caps , I would expect 100 Hz not 50, as all diode bridges multiply the frequency plus harmonics.

hint... So look for poor conducted or radiated grounds or power cables. A line filter is a good add-on if there are radiated or conducted noise. Or lack of common ground in measurements or poor shielding....

hafrse

BLDC fans unless exactly 1500 or 3000 RPM will not be your 50 Hz problem.

It will be either radiated from poor shielding or ground connections or conducted from poor filtering such as aged ESR in large electrolytics. Consider replacing all with high quality caps with low ESR, high temp types for supply filters.

Only you can tell by changing the method of grounding or isolation from magnetic lines of fields of 60Hz

If it were Caps , I would expect 100 Hz not 50, as all diode bridges multiply the frequency plus harmonics.

hint... So look for poor conducted or radiated grounds or power cables. A line filter is a good add-on if there are radiated or conducted noise. Or lack of common ground in measurements or poor shielding....

Thanks for the information, in my situation if I disconnect the fan supply cable, the spurs dissapears, so it is the fan which is radiating noise (magnetic or electrical) . Later this evening I will take the fan outside the instrument and connect the supply cable to the fan to check if the spurs are still visible on my SA . I will report that later.

Please see the picture I have in my earlier post where the fan and the YIG are very neer each other.
Thanks

Done test with the fan outside the instument, still som little noise when neer the instrument, about 20 cm away , no noise observed.
so the fan is radiating mechanical / electrical / magnetic noise vibration

This still is surprising as modern DDS and PLL based generators have or should have enough PLL loop bandwidth to avoid/correct this problem.

Two way radios with PLL and build-in loudspeakers have long solved this problem and a fan should be much less complicated. If it is conducted rather then radiated interference then it seems a filter problem.

This still is surprising as modern DDS and PLL based generators have or should have enough PLL loop bandwidth to avoid/correct this problem.

Two way radios with PLL and build-in loudspeakers have long solved this problem and a fan should be much less complicated. If it is conducted rather then radiated interference then it seems a filter problem.

Original fan is a Papst Model 4341 24V 5W, no interference what ever with it except that it sounds very high because of worn bearings, The new Vellman fan is a crap

Welcome back on the forum Ulrich! I always appreciated your vast knowledge and comments on crystal oscillators.

having enough bandwidth, and actually having enough open loop gain to correct vibration noise to maybe -90 dBc, are too very different things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back