Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Specific ferrite core for RF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioHobbies

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design RF transformer specified for the Medium Wave
I got a core from a SMPS used as a filter at the dc output , its cylindrical in shape ,
2 cm length , 1/2 cm diameter
Can it be used for this task ?
or ferrite cores that used in RF applications have a special properties ?

no
yes
For SMPS applications, ferrite materials such as Manganese-Zinc (MnZn) and Nickel-Zinc (NiZn) are commonly used.

MnZn ferrites are suitable for low-frequency applications (< 1 MHz) with high permeability and low losses.
NiZn ferrites are preferred for high-frequency applications (> 1 MHz) with lower permeability and higher losses.

For lossy filter applications, ferrite materials with high losses, such as Iron-Zinc (FeZn) and Nickel-Zinc (NiZn), are commonly used. These materials have a high resistivity and are suitable for attenuating high-frequency noise.

Thanks for reply , I maybe didn't described what I need very clear
my question is :
Can I use that core which I have obtained from the SMPS as a RF transformer (to be used before the detector stage) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.