Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OPTO Specification Confusion

ElecDesigner

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed in lots of OPTOs in the past and an looking to use the ACPL-K54L. I'm now confused about one of the specifications on the datasheet of this particular part.

Top of page 10: CTR. So if I take the worst case (min) CTR of 93% and for absolute worst case assume a 0.88 multiplier (max temp 75deg) I get a worst case min of about 82% and can design on that basis.
However, there is a further, lower, CTR of 53% listed on the datasheet for condition Vo = 0.5V. I don't currently understand the logic of this or am i misreading the information.

However, there is a further, lower, CTR of 53% listed on the datasheet for condition Vo = 0.5V.
Nothing special. The same happens to every simple bjt.
--> the more you go to output_saturation (lower V_CE) the less the CTR will be.

Simple question: What is your situation:
* I_F
* I_O
* V_O (limits)

Btw: I had optocouplers that reduced their CTR to 30% of the initial CTR during a couple of years. Operated well within specification.
Surely not every optocoupler is that bad.

Klaus

Nothing special. The same happens to every simple bjt.
--> the more you go to output_saturation (lower V_CE) the less the CTR will be.

Simple question: What is your situation:
* I_F
* I_O
* V_O (limits)

Btw: I had optocouplers that reduced their CTR to 30% of the initial CTR during a couple of years. Operated well within specification.
Surely not every optocoupler is that bad.

Klaus

I'm still confused as it feels the wrong way round to me.
CTRmin 53% for Vo = 0.5V
CTRmin 93% for Vo = 0.4V

Surely this is the opposite of what you mention?

My Vout max is about 2V (2mA) and I was looking to select a resistor to limit I/F.
I dare say I can put loads of margin on so not a problem, I was just drawn to these specs.

Hi,

you need to read the whole lines:

CTRmin 53% for Vo = 0.5V (for total TA = -40°C ... +105°C, as written above)
CTRmin 93% for Vo = 0.4V for TA = 25°C

VO = 2V is quite huge. Not a standard logic level. Sure about it?

Klaus

Ok thanks. Its obvious now, regarding the specs. For some reason I didn't factor in the temp stuff.

The output is connected to a 4000 series schmitt at 12V power even 2V gives margin.

Rule of Thumb for any BJT
hFE starts drop when Vcb drops < 2V at higher current and < 0.6V at low current when Vbe=Vce @ approx 1mA for IC

Same for CTR which is hFE * LED coupling loss = CTR

So if hypothetically if infrared coupling is factor 1% and hFE is 100 your CTR is 1 or 100%. It is this product that yields CTR.

Consider the old 2N2222 curves, ( which they don't publish much anymore)

See how computed hFE drops as Vce reduces in the Y axis.

1705349734093.png

Bottom line

Use a low Ic value to improve CTR and adjust Rc accordingly to meet Rc Cp=T rise time
e.g. 1 to 5 mA The datasheet uses 3 mA for spec, so this should be optimal for most users

For a 2N2222 the optimum hFE is 30 mA,

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back