Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

resistor and voltage didivion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrojohn

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I need to divide my voltage on a power supply. If I have a 3.4v out put and a 5v out put what resistors do I need to halve these two? Thanks in advance.:)

Divide the voltage to achieve what? You can use a wide resistance range as long as the divider output is unloaded. But the load resistance becomes part of the divider, respectively the load current causes a voltage drop according to the divider output resistance.

Which load shall be connected to the voltage divider?

I need to halve the voltage of the 3.4v out put and the 5 v out put to run a single cell electrolyzer. Optimum voltage for a single cell is between 1.7 and 2.2 volts. It asks about 20 amps.

Quite simple, it's impossible with a voltage divider. A series connected variable power resistor (rheostat) could be used. These days variable constant current switch mode power supplies are used for electrolysis.

If you don't need a regulated accurate V or care about power loss or
load does not change yes a R would do it.

Regards, Dana.

Hi Dana just had a thought, would it not be easier to just take a 12 battery and use a series voltage dropping resistor to get 2.2 volts? Regards john
You would need a 200 Watt resistor. Quite possibly the worst possible solution.

if you do a little searching at digikey, or mouser, or newark,
you will probably find an appropriate switching power supply for a for less than the cost of one 200 W resistor
it will also not get as hot, will not waste as much energy, and will take up less space.

Do you need

5V >> 2.5V @ 20A &
3.4 >> 1.7V @ 20A ?

(5 - 2.5) / 20A = .125 ohms P = I^2 x R = 400 x .125 = 50W Resistor
(3.4 - 1.7)/20A = .085 ohms P = I^2 x R = 400 x .085 = 34W Resistor

Buck regs that can do it (5 > 2.5) -

Regards, Dana.
Yeah I had come to the same conclusion re 12v battery. I have access to a 5 volt ps, going to try the buck regulator approach. Thanks again John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back