Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regulator capacitor logic

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have a basic regulator shown below. I use LT1084 instead of LD1084 and As you can see the simulator works great without capacitors.
I understand that capacitors are used to filter out the noise from power supply.

I have a circuit which uses a lot of capacitors both near input and output as shown in the photo in the end.
1.The network starts with polarised capacitor as shown in the blue arrow, why polarized?
2.why we have two networks both input and ouput?
3.I know how to simulation AC filter responce. how can i know based on the networks to what purpose they where planned for?
Thanks.

LD1084:

LT1084:

1692604741065.png

1692606520280.png

@yefj, you wont be using traditional capacitors at 10 Ghz, in fact this pretty much tells
the story (SRF = self resonant freq) :

1693156699745.png

Hopefully you have a network analyzer to evaluate your layout and performance and
components.

Regards, Dana.

Hello , regarding the output current of the LD1084 device.(data sheet shown below)
I dont have a SPICE model to test it.
from the datasheet shown bellow the output current can be 5A which will totally burn my device.
In the data sheet they give me a formula for the output voltage.
so inorder to know how much current will to the load i need to know the input resistance of the load device?
maybe there is some link between the R1 and R2 to the output current?
Thanks.

1693167602215.png

1693167725583.png

Hi,

there is no link between R1 and R2 and the output current. Those resistors are the so-called feedback network defining the output voltage. A voltage regulator with a fixed output voltage has this resistors inside the package.

Keep in mind the LD1084 provides up to 5A. How much current goes into your load (sinked by the load) depends on its impedance e.g. a 10k resistor will for sure not sink 5A (only with an output voltage of 50kV ;) ).

What is connect at the output? I assume some some active components e.g. amplifiers. If so check the datasheet regarding its current consumption.

BR

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: