Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifier antenna co simulation with CST

Ludovic_29

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

May I have posted it on the wrong section so I will move it to this section.

I am currently trying to create a CST co simulation for a rectifier antenna. The simulation is broken down into 2 steps: the dipole antenna is simulated on the 3D section and the circuit part is on the schematic section, the excitation is done with a wave plane in order to simulate the receiving capability of the antenna. The goal of the simulation is to get the voltage at the end of the coplanar resistive line with a specific field send to the antenna. However I am struggling to find the right process with CST to do this simulation the right way.

Does anybody have an idea about the correct way to do it ?

Thank you very much.

Ludovic.

Hello,

You could do the EM simulation on CST Design Studio for the antenna part, and when the simulation is done, you could use the schmatic window to put the circuit elementes (resistors. capacitors, touchstones files and so on) and simulate the whole system. At this point you could optimize or tune your parameters to obtain the desired generated voltage at the end.

I am intrigued about this application, how is it done?

Bests regards

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, this is the way I am trying to get results from CST.

You will find attached the EM/circuits parts that have been splited on CST. The goal of the circuit is to do a RF to DC conversion. So I need to get the DC value at the end of the circuit according to frequency range and the E field that is set up on the plane wave excitation.

But I haven't found the way to do it properly on CST.

CST_rectifierAntennaCoSimulation.jpg

I have not use yet, but maybe the task AC combine results could be useful (in the schematic view).
Another idea would be calculate the E-field between the traces and integrate it to obtain voltage.

If you give me more details I could figure out a better way.

So I need to get the DC value at the end of the circuit according to frequency range and the E field that is set up on the plane wave excitation.
Your intended workflow is difficult and inefficient.

You should split this into two parts, and use the fact that the antenna is reciprocal:

1) Simulate the antenna part, with the antenna excited by a circuit port, and measure E field at the distance of interest. From these results, you have the relationship between E field and power at the antenna port. This relationship is valid for transmit case (as simulated) and receive case (your taks).

2) Go to circuit simulation and design your rectifier with the input power calculated for your E field (dependency from step 1). No need for EM here.

Good luck!
Volker

Thank you very much for your replies,

@psach27 : I've already tried with the AC combine results. The main issue is that you need an AC source in the schematic part. And here, the Plane wave is the source.

@volker@muehlhaus: this is an interesting way with the reciprocal approach. However, I don't understand with the circuit simulation how the impact of the antenna impedance will be defined with only a source with varying power. Did I get your meaning right ?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back