Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Noise Source ENR

Status
Not open for further replies.

njfl

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hp346 noise source

Let's say I want to have a variety of ENR values, but I only have one HP346 noise source, with an ENR of 15.2dB a tsome frequency.

Would adding a 3dB attenuator to the output of the noise source make my ENR become 12.2dB? Likewise 9.3dB when adding a 6dB pad?

Yes, the attenuator serves dual purposes of lowering the ENR and also improves both ON and OFF state VSWR which increases noise figure measurement accuracy.

njfl said:
Let's say I want to have a variety of ENR values, but I only have one HP346 noise source, with an ENR of 15.2dB a tsome frequency.

Would adding a 3dB attenuator to the output of the noise source make my ENR become 12.2dB? Likewise 9.3dB when adding a 6dB pad?

Formula to translate ENR at the output of the coax attenuator is much more complex than ENR_translated = ENR-Att[dB].

Papers written from NIST engineers explain well how ENR could be translated.

You also shoud consider that uncertainty related to the new ENR will be higher than the uncertainty related to the original ENR.

Added after 17 minutes:

Attached file describes how translate ENR.

Unfortunatly it is in Italian.

Cheers

marcomdd said:
You also shoud consider that uncertainty related to the new ENR will be higher than the uncertainty related to the original ENR.

Attached file describes how translate ENR.

Unfortunatly it is in Italian.

Cheers

Thanks. I'll take a look at it and see if Ican get a friend to translate where I need help.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back