Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
beat6883 said:
Hi, Ivanovitx

What MPLAB say?
I think that there is a problem in USB driver if neither works.
You had better watch a ICD2 manual.

im bad english too, because im Japanese.

i dunno how to help you, i've same troubles...

yo parloteo español... ya te contare si esto explota o no :D

日本語で ちょっと 話なせます。 でもせんぶわすれっぽい。

じゃあね。

Thank you to all of you especially potyo & vsmGuy for all the suggestions on this hugely long thread.
Soon blueroomelectronics will soon be offering Unicorn (Inchworm+ USB upgrade & Experimenter) as a kit.
I'll post the beta schematic (it works, just not final)
**broken link removed**

blueroomelectronics said:
PS on a side note; by the sheer number of programmer and or debugger threads here I often wonder if anyone actually builds projects or just spend all their time building programmers...

:D

Oh and a special thanks to sergio_lindau
His
extract_ICD2_4550_firmware_from_MPLAB_BIN_files.zip
works like a charm with Unicorn.

Hi, blueroomelectronics

I planing ICD2 clone for 2550 only. But program is not yet...

What's a 2550? an 18F2550? You want to program the 18F2550 then yes it's supported by the ICD2

Before you attempt the USB ICD2 which has two PICs (16F877A & 18F4550) try building just a serial ICD2 like the Inchworm design.
Of course the Inchworm can program the 18F4550 required for the USB version. The USB is faster but otherwise programs exactly the same PICs as the serial version.

@blueroomelectronics : I think you can very well use the 18F2550 instead of the 4550 ?

Reason being, 18F2550 is more widely available all over the world.

Finally, we would all be really happy if you added level translators to ICD2 to enable us to program all PICs :)

Don't use the "diode drop" approach. I remember the day Olimex used it.

What happened next was not pretty. We hobbyists like to know that our tools have the "real deal".

Keep up the good job.

Potyo's ICD2 works. The reason why you see such a looong list of problems is that it's a very big project, with too many parts, too many holes and incompletely reverse engineered firmware.

Ask sergio_lindau. He knows what he's talking about ;)

Do you mean the 18F2550 as the USB part of the ICD2? If so it simply doesn't have the PSP port required. *RD & RE

The lack of level translators was to keep the design simple. It's a hobby level programmer. You want to play with the 24Fxxxx stuff then you're probably not a beginner.

Advice to those building ICD2s, keep it simple. DON'T substitute parts unless you understand their function.

Also the way the 16F877 and 18F4550 talk on the ICD2 can only be done with PICs with the Parallel Slave Port. Smaller 28pin PICs don't have the hardware.

Do you mean the 18F2550 as the USB part of the ICD2? If so it simply doesn't have the PSP port required. *RD & RE

The lack of level translators was to keep the design simple. It's a hobby level programmer. You want to play with the 24Fxxxx stuff then you're probably not a beginner. The diode drop on the Olimex was sort of a hack, I now recommend a 2V zener and it works like a charm as it's put in the right place (before the VPP switching transistor not after like the Olimex fix)

Advice to those building ICD2s.
1. Keep it simple.
2. DON'T substitute parts unless you understand their function.
3. The way the 16F877 and 18F4550 talk on the ICD2 can only be done with PICs with the Parallel Slave Port. Smaller 28pin PICs don't have the hardware.
4. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Hi to all!

Thanks to see my work blueroomelectronics!

@potyo
There's no direct reference of RA1 on 4550 firmware. I think that you can remove R23 from your design. See the files in

I think 18F2550 have ability for simulate 877 & 4550. but dont cover all PICs.
Its my hobby...

sergio_lindau said:
Hi to all!

Thanks to see my work blueroomelectronics!

@potyo
There's no direct reference of RA1 on 4550 firmware. I think that you can remove R23 from your design. See the files in

RA0 thru RA3 are for the experimenter part and are simply brought out to a connector, not used for the ICD2 stuff.

RA4 on the other hand had to be pulled down or the ICD2 does not function, you also must have the Inchworm+ attached to see the ICD2 firmware client.

The USB LED1 never seems to do anything, it's fine for the experimenter.

Your hex file builder works like a charm, may I put it on my site? The 75K file works as is.:D

Added after 2 minutes:

beat6883 said:
I think 18F2550 have ability for simulate 877 & 4550. but dont cover all PICs.
Its my hobby...

The 18F2550 is a nice 28pin chip, it's just not got the PSP mode needed to be an ICD2 clone.

Yes, you can put the files in your site but the credits are not only mine. Put this file that contains the name of people that do it.

The comments about R23 in RA1 pin is about potyo's design. R23 is unnecessary.

One curiosity to think about it:

The only pins used in PORTA (4550) is RA0 and RA4. Pin RA0 is used as output and pin RA4 is used as input. We know that RA4 must be pulled low to ICD2 works. What's the function of RA0? No one use it in your designs!

The potyo's design is the most conformat with firmware encountered in MPLAB directory. It's complete and work's. The only inconsistences is about use of RA0 and RA1 but it don't affect the functioning of circuit.

Thanks for the file, RA0 seems to have no effect on the ICD2 function, so I thought I'd make it available in the experimenter mode. What does RA0 output to?

My prototype is wired just like the schematic posted here and the newer one on my site. Works great, no hiccups nada.

Wow!!!

You are here!! I'm still editing last post. I'm don't speak english. I'm searching words in a dictionary to tell more about pin functions. I think that RA0 drive some selection of supply from usb bus or external source.

I see now your new version off Inchworm. Good work! I know that it work. You can use PIC16F876A. I test it with your old Inchworm schematic on protoboard and it works good. I'm using this circuit with 876 to debug ICD2 OS firmware.

You can use a 16F876A as a serial ICD2 but if you want to upgrade to fast USB you need the extra pins and PSP mode of the 16F877A (RD & RE) That PSP mode is what gives the USB ICD2 its speed.

As for the 18F4550 and C1 or C2 and the USB LED they appear to do nothing. As the real ICD2 has no USB LED it's odd that it's on the clones. I've begun working on the PCB.

Hi

Exists some pcb diagram in an editable format of PICS(c) clone? Zip only have a pdf and some gerber files. But all tools i have are failed to load the gerber correctly.
A simple bmp is enough :D ...

I need to move some pads because components i have don't fit. Yes.. i could try to find others.. but... well it's not a big city xD you have no choice.

Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back