Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

progressive wiring: SMT part with normal protoboard ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozonehole2k

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
use protoboard for smt

I have just come across this page that describes the progressive wiring technique.
hxxp://elm-chan.org/docs/wire/wiring_e.html

The author managed to build an MP3 player using a normal prototype board, with mostly SMT parts, some ICs are as complex as 48 LQFP. The trick is to connect the parts with thin enamel wire one by one. It seems to be a very attractive option as I don't have the room to setup a PCB tank and want to avoid spending money to make the PCBs professionally.

The technique seems to be very good, but, it does not seem to be a common technique when I search the web. I wonder if anyone has experience with this. Also, the polyimide (Kapton) tape mentioned in the article is hard to locate. Any alternative solution for that?

if use a other way of this tecnique - i mount the SMD-IC with the backside on the proto-pcb - for this i use "hot-glue" (sorry i did'nt know the correct phrase).

after this i use the same wiring tecnique. I did'nt need the isotape ;-).

example:

Ic-Pins ------------------ _ _ _ _
Ic backside ------------ |________|
Glue ------------------- ___oooooooo____
Proto-PCB ------------ I______________I

if i have 0.5mm pin distance i use "pin-swapping" this is better for my eyes
and is easyer to solder

example:

Ic-Pins----------- _ - _ - _ -
Ic backside------|__________|

for simple SMD ( 1.27 mm) i use cutting technique.
i cut the proto pad in two pads - then i have a 1.27 solder grid.
for this i use a cutterknife.

Ok this is my way - sorry for my bad english

This technique is called "Dead-bug" constuction, because it looks like a dead insect on its back. It used to be (maybe still is?) a common technique among radio amateurs.

FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back