Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICs and the ICD2 connection problems with RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerza

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm noticing some funny behaviour in regards to the PICs that I'm using and the ICD2 (original Microchip).

The system consists of 4 MCUs a BT module and some RS232 trancievers connected via I2C. If I connect the ICD2 to the MCU connected to the RS232 the device functions OK. If I remove the ICD the BT still functions OK but the RS232 is dead.

Any suggestions on how so solve this problem will help alot.

Thanks
Slayer

Re: PICs and the ICD2

Hello,

I see your problem, but I can't answer you.
Mea culpa.

Slayerza said:
Hi,
I'm noticing some funny behaviour in regards to the PICs that I'm using and the ICD2 (original Microchip).

If I connect the ICD2 to the MCU connected to the RS232 the device functions OK. If I remove the ICD the BT still functions OK but the RS232 is dead.

Are you in debug mode? Switch to Programmer:ICD2 and then reprogram the chip so it will run in stand alone mode.

Debug has a config bit, to tell it to use the two pins for debug, and it won't run right without the ICD2 attached then. Sounds like you need to switch to programmer mode, and then reprogram the chip so debug mode is off.

Cool,
Might it be that the ICD preforms some decoupling / noise filtering that might exist as a function of some other circuit component not functioning properly?

Cheers
Slayer

Status
Not open for further replies.