Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC vs 8051 - which s better to build a robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w_bwr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC vs 8051

hi,
i m very new to micro-controllers, and planning to build a robot.
Suggest, which is better (PIC or 8051)?????

thnks

Re: PIC vs 8051

It can easily be done with any of them ..
Choose one that you fill more comfortable with ..
Or, if I were you, I would go for PICAXE, only because it is so damn bloody easy to learn ..
Google for --PICAXE+Robot—

Rgds,
IanP

Re: PIC vs 8051

w_bwr said:
hi,
i m very new to micro-controllers, and planning to build a robot.
Suggest, which is better (PIC or 8051)?????

thnks

Hi w_bwr,

You can cut vegetables with a knife or you can kill a person with a knife. So it depends upon who is using the knife and how and on what.

If I was in your place:
I would first see, what resources, I am having.
1. Assembler/Compiler/Debuuger/Programmer. If I have one, then it is OK, else can I borrow, or get it for free, or can I get it at very low cost?
2. What is the use of this robot: Self-Learning/Selling/Academic? Is it worth to put in that much amount of effort/money for this project?
3. Do I have a source where I can get the necessary spares to complete the project?
4. In crisis situation, is there somebody who can help for this project? preferably close to my place/area/city/state/country....
5. How much time do I need to learn the micro? If you write software in C, then you need NOT write in Assembly, that will reduce 70% of learning/software-completion time.

Status
Not open for further replies.