Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Operation of diode Rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhathi123

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Consider these equations for diode rectifier;

I(V) = Is(e^(alpha*V) -1) -----------(1)
Let diode voltage be V=Vo+v --------------(2)

Then, Using taylor series for the diode current I(V) [equation (1)] we have;
Capture.PNG ; where Io=I(Vo)

Capture.PNG ; where Gd is the dynamic conductance (Gd=1/Rj, where Rj is the juction resistance at Vo)

Then for diode rectifier we have;
Capture.PNG ----------(3)
then diode current;
Capture.PNG

Therefore we can say Capture.PNG is the rectified current. Using a low pass filter we can simply get rid of the higher
frequency components

[Microwave Engineering 2nd Ed, David M. Pozar, paged 560-563]

What I cannot understand is these equations are derived from the simple assumption that Input Voltage [equation (3)] is across the diode. But in a
rectifier circuit like this [figure below] will not have Vin across the diode. Then how can I use these equations in this situation?
Capture.PNG

What I cannot understand is these equations are derived from the simple assumption that Input Voltage [equation (3)] is across the diode. But in a
rectifier circuit like this [figure below] will not have Vin across the diode. Then how can I use these equations in this situation?
View attachment 72497

Why do you say it wont have a Vin ? it shows a Vin.
In this case its inferring a DC voltage as there is a + and - rail, so nothing is being rectified and you will just loose ~ 0.7 V across the diode
A diode is often used that way for reverse polarity protection of a piece of equipment

If instead you had an AC Vin, then you will have a half wave rectifier and again still a ~ 0.7V drop across the diode

Dave

Vin is a AC small signal with very high frequency. There will be a ~0.7 drop across the diode if the diode is idle. In a practical situation the drop will vary. I think that is the basis for the derivation given in the book.

Here voltage across diode will be; V=Vin-Vout [V=Vo+voCos(wt) - Vout]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back