Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New type of PFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Today we received in the post a PFC of 150W which is not Average current mode or Boundary conduction mode.
It doesnt use inductors in the normal way.
When you have a series inductor, you can , in some ways, use a paralellel capacitor instead, kind of thing.
Our customer sent it to us, wants us to build a product out of it for a streetlight.
It uses capacitor charge principle.
Is very efficienct with great light load power.
We are thinking of buying some.
What do you think?

Hi,
Today we received in the post a PFC of 150W which is not Average current mode or Boundary conduction mode.
It doesnt use inductors in the normal way.
When you have a series inductor, you can , in some ways, use a paralellel capacitor instead, kind of thing.
Our customer sent it to us, wants us to build a product out of it for a streetlight.
It uses capacitor charge principle.
Is very efficienct with great light load power.
We are thinking of buying some.
What do you think?

Perhaps i'm missing something but looks like a glorified Buck converter to me. If i understand Figure 1C of their datasheet correctly they are effectively regulating the voltage on Cs with repect to HVDC. They appear to use Ld & Lhvdc to manage the ripple current & use Lch for high frequency switching. I don't see anythinng special.

https://www.ti.com/seclit/ml/slup264/slup264.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.