Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help to find a suitable ADC for linear displancement

Status
Not open for further replies.

manojvalan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friend,

In one of my project I want to calculate a linear motion of an shaft which can move upto 25mm. I select a potentiometric based sensor and that sensor output can vary upto 0-10v.Also I have to show the displacement accuracy is should be < 0.1% . Hence i need a precision ADC.Please let me know what all the factor I need to take care while select a ADC.

Regards,
Manoj

What is the sampling speed you need.?

What is the resolution needed ?

You are going to also need a Input Conditioning section to convert 10V to 5V but that is easy enough.

If I were you I would go for a Delta Sigma ADC with a ENOB of about 20b. Also consider the LTC2400. It has a great noise figure.Hope this was helpful:D

Added after 1 minutes:

Also Delta Sigma Converters have very good linearity due to their architecture. 0.1% is easily attainable when used with a reasonably good Vref

Re: Need help to find a suitable ADC for linear displancemen

Hi mahesh,

Yes LTC2400 seems to good.I have one question how do I calculate sampling rate of my application as sensor output is DC. I am thinking to read the sensor for every sec and do the display.

Regards
Manoj

Status
Not open for further replies.