Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ncverilog is faster than vcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaonkc

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ncverilog is faster than vcs?

I run the simulation with same environment and test case, the ncverilog is three times faster than vcs.

What about are yours?

Ye,

It's true. During gate-level simulation, NC is faster than VCS visible.

Maybe the two tools use different sequence to deal with the different assignment types in simulation.

Anyone can give us a detail reason?

Thanks

Hi, which version of nc & vcs are you use?

AlexWan said:
Ye,

Maybe the two tools use different sequence to deal with the different assignment types in simulation.

Thanks
As i know, NCVerilog is cycle-based simulator, while VCS is a event-based simulator(of course, you can use the +cycle option to enable the cycle-based functionality). Therefore if you doesn't use the VCS with the cycle option, then the simulation performance is pretty lower than the NCVerilog's.

Thomson

Hi,
I've heard that NC is some times faster than VCS for gate level and vice versa for RTL. However here are few points:

1. Both NC & VCS have cycle as well as event based algorithms - else they can't simulate any arbitrary verilog code.
2. They employ some heuristics to apply cycle/event and that might make this kind of differences.
3. During VCS run, do you see "ACC/PLI capabilities enabled for entire design" kind of message during start? If so try and fix that first - that may get you 2 to 4x speed up inside VCS.

Good Luck
Ajeetha
--
www.noveldv.com
Interested in expert PSL/SVA training in Bangalore? Visit www.noveldv.com/cvc.html

Thomson said:
AlexWan said:
Ye,

Thanks
As i know, NCVerilog is cycle-based simulator, while VCS is a event-based simulator(of course, you can use the +cycle option to enable the cycle-based functionality). Therefore if you doesn't use the VCS with the cycle option, then the simulation performance is pretty lower than the NCVerilog's.

Thomson

Hi aji_vlsi,
Can you give me a detail method to speed up the simulation time inside vcs in gate-level simulation with sdf back annotation.

Thanks,

Added after 4 hours 49 minutes:

Hi AlexWan,

The cycle option is exit?
It is not in synopsys manual.

and you should compare these two with the latest version. I feel vcs is faster.

vcs is slow ,so seldom use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back