Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Verilog : can "initial" be used in main module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesslyn993

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wish to have my codding executing in sequential way. But I read from internet, all verilog code was as default run in concurrent way unless i make it in initial or always block and using blocking assignment.

Thus, I modify my code by using initial block to cover all my coding in main module.

FYI: I have a C coding from arduino to run my NFC reader. I wanted it to be in verilog coding. Thus, I write the verilog coding according to the C coding. Since C coding execution is in sequential way, thus i wanted my verilog to execute in sequential way.

Question:
Is it okay to use initial to include all my coding in main module?

Please give me a hand. Thanks

Your question leads me to believe the support for "initial" and "always " is not what you intend to use it for.

including all logic in initial is something that would not make sense. It is almost certainly a misunderstanding of how that construct was intended to be used.

I guess, you are misunderstanding the meaning of sequential logic blocks in hardware description languages like Verilog or VHDL. They imply a sequential elaboration but not a sequential execution in time as you can expect it with microcontroller C code.

It's not possible to simply translate C to Verilog. You need to understand the different nature of programmable logic and microcontroller code and design logic hardware that performs the intended sequential action, e.g. a finite state machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back