Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet gate driver current calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

h@ro

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In order to calculate the gate current for driving the gate of a MOSFET by PWM at ~40Khz, I use the formula for peak current "Ip" located on the 4th page of the publication "http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua054/slua054.pdf"

My question is what is a systematic way of calculating Ton term in that formula? A smaller Ton results in lower switching loss, but requires more current e.g. 20ns would require something around 30A in my application.

My question is what is a systematic way of calculating Ton term in that formula? A smaller Ton results in lower switching loss, but requires more current e.g. 20ns would require something around 30A in my application.
Hi h@ro
The answer is simple . in switching applications we should try to driver our mosfet in on/off state which will has lowest dissipation and also we should keep gate surge current as low as we can .
If we decrease it , hence it is possible that our mosfet work in linear region which is pretty dissipative region . if we allow the gate current be very high thus we'll have gate dissipations .
SO we should consider both of these parameters in our design .
By the way ton depends on what kind of application you're referring to . SMPS ? or switching amplifiers ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi Goldsmith,

What do you mean about gate dissipations?

I think the biggest source of power loss will be in the linear region as the gate voltage rises from the gate threshold (~4v) to 10v, so the rise time over this area should be very short- Isn't it best to have as high driving current as possible, to charge the gate to 10v quickly?

The application is an H bridge motor drive- with around 100A capacity, which is why I'm concerned about power dissipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.