Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure the current with wire loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_ngine

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm designing a circuit with several power regulators and ICs.
One of the requirements is to be able to measure the current on each rail. The first option is to add some small shunt resistors in series to the regulators, another, as requested by my client, is to have the possibility to instrument a wire loop to sense the current using a handheld magnetic current meter.

Usually, when I need to do so, I replace the shunt with a wire loop, but my client does not want to have to rework the board to do so. Assuming the shunt resistor is unstuffed the client wants a way to quickly install a wire loop.

What are my options?
1) Are there wire loops that can be installed as a component? I could have a BOM variant where the wire loops are installed instead of the shunts.
2) Is there any header/connector that can be used to add a wire loop? Something I will connect in parallel to the shunt resistor... I wonder, in this second case, how much would the parasitic series resistance be.

Thanks

There exist stamped copper shunts large enough to fit a linear active current probe, approx 2cm square but large thru holes need to have been design to accommodate insertion.

I would suggest a 50 to 75 mV current shunt and specify the BW in MHz or signal rise time and chose an active diff amp with 2x excess bandwidth to properly detect the waveform.

It is important to define these specs before design starts. Any changes in requirements must be negotiated at cost.

Otherwise the customer can request you provide test results using an active Diff. FET Probe with suitable null flat line calibration on a common mode transient on one side of the shunt R.

Status
Not open for further replies.