Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for 8 bit small controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan8947

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I've been retired for 17 years and I was more into analog RF design before. I did design using HC11 long time ago but just on the hardware side.

I want to design with the more modern and popular controllers today and I need suggestions. The things that I am looking for is very much like HC11 which includes:

1) 8bit.
2) with ADC and DAC.
3) easier to solder at home, no BGA or types that requires special soldering tools. SMD is ok as long as it's not too small.
4) Popular, that I can get help here with programming.

My goal is to design some controller for my other projects. Also, I just learned C++, I want to put it into practice by writing codes for the micro controller.

Thanks

Solution
Hello!

As usual, 10 engineers will give you at least 20 different solutions, so I will add
my contribution:
I use C++ heavily for all my last 20 years projects (not hobby, I do this for living).
I have been programming with MSP430 which I know best, and recently with STM32.

I think MSP430 has a big advantage in terms of simplicity with its linear address space
(Von Neumann architecture). As for C++, there is some overhead for small programs, but
there are very big advantages in terms of "source code factorization" if you do something
more complex. Usually it is said that all what you do in C++ can be done in plain C
and all what you do in C can also be done in assembly. But for my point of view, there
is nothing you can do in...
Hi,

have you made any progress? do you need support?

Klaus
Thanks for checking. I just finish my last project(building a stereo power amp), I still want to brush up my C++ before I get to this project. I tell you, there's nothing good getting old. I as stunned how much I forgot C++. I think I should brush up the C++ before I touch Arduino, so I don't have to fight two at the same time.

I am sure I will have question when I get started. My goal is to choose the best way to start and I believe Arduino is the best way and I am committed to it now that I bought the kit. I am in no hurry as I am retired.

Thanks, I'll be back.

If you are using the Arduino platform, don't get too hung up about the C++ aspect, at least at first.
While most (all?) of the libraries are written in C++, the nearest you need to come is to declare a variable that holds the class instance and then reference the methods with the 'instance.method(...);' format.
For example, to output text to the serial device you just use 'Serial.println("test to show');'.
Also many useful libraries are written so the methods are 'static' (in C++ that means they belong to the class, not an instance - example is the 'println' method I used just now).
Unless you want to write your own classes or libraries, basic C with a few additions will get you there nicely.
Susan

Hi

I did not forget this, I am still studying C++, review what I learned slowly.

I ask the question before but I did not get an answer. I wonder is this too difficult for a 3nd year highschooller? Since KlausST did say even a carpenter manage to learn Arduino, my grand daughter is 16, straight A and student of the year, I just wonder would this be too difficult to teach her and play with her to get her into firmware stuffs. She's good in math, physics, chemistry. I was going to learn Python with her together, but I think this is more fun from looking at the kit, you have remote, fan and all that. It looks like more a game than anything else.

Please comment.

Thanks

Hi,
I wonder is this too difficult for a 3nd year highschooller?
My opinion:
It's not too difficult for a 16, 10 or 50 year old.
It's not primarily a question of age, I would say it's a question of curiosity and interest.
You can't force someone to learn how to write C code.

Klaus

Hi,

My opinion:
It's not too difficult for a 16, 10 or 50 year old.
It's not primarily a question of age, I would say it's a question of curiosity and interest.
You can't force someone to learn how to write C code.

Klaus
Thanks, I'll try. I always tell her to have an open mind to learn everything at least once. I won't force her if she doesn't like it. Other than me, the whole family is NOT into science. I want to at least introduce her to this side.

Like last time when she was staying with us a few weeks ago, I had her change tire on a car, installed a wall mount tv bracket for a big flat screen tv all under my supervision. Just want her to experience things at least one time. Then if she's not into it, so be it, at least she did it and I'll never mention again. The father cannot even put together a very simple furniture kit together if his life depends on it. I want to teach her some very basic life skill, like changing tires, hang pictures and stuffs at home!!!! Now she knows, father can ask her for help.

It is hard if the rest of the family only ask her how many books she read, put her in piano class and ballet class, never mention about science. I want her to at least experience the scientific world and then she can choose. Ha ha, I also show her martial arts also!!!

Hi,

I agree with you: Every sort of (unforced) input will make one grow. At least in knowledge. And in worst case the knowledge is that this is not the way for her.
Let her make her own decisions ... and let her make her own mistakes (even if you see them beforehand).

You do a great job.

There never was a time before where one can choose from so many ideas and jobs.
Social, medical, trade, chemistry, physics, politics .... and many others.
But still for the one it is an opportunity ... for the other a burden.

Job is the one thing. But life is another thing. If you can: support her in visiting other countries.

Klaus

I don't believe in going into a career just because of money. I believe in going into a career that is also my passion. I tried hard and I found it. My passion was/is electronics. I had my 30 years of career as EE and manager of EE. It was more fun than anything else. I might be complaining here and there, but I had the time of my life. Even after retirement, I still designing very high end stereo power amps and music electronics. I am doing this without pay, just for the fun of it.

I want my little girl to find her dreams, money is secondary, enjoying what she's doing is the most important thing. Just want her to have a chance to get her hands wet into something new, so she can make a clear decision. Life is too short to have a career one doesn't like and just do it for the money. Even in EE, I chose jobs that challenge me and of interest, not more money.

Ha ha, it's not just all these serious stuffs, me and her are the only one in the family that LOVES stuff animals. We play stuff animals all these year together, not just playing with her because she love them. That, I truly love stuff animals, never got out of it even at the age of 69, . You should see our collection of stuff animals!!!

Hi,

here in Germany (Europe) education and University is almost for free. Thus it's not that finacial impact if your first choice for a carrer was not the right one. I guess in your country there are opportunities for (young) people to go abroad .. for different reasons (chilling, development aid worker, learning language, school, university, apprenticeship, ...) for a couple of weeks or even years.

In the very most cases they come back with more self esteem, more confidence, more adult ... this usually is a big gain for them, but also is hard for the parents (they let their teen go and get back a - somehow different - adult.)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back