Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LNA noise matching (physical insight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any one can share insight on the following?

I am looking for physical insight or explanation on why noise figure is lower when the LNA transistor device sees the optimum noise source impedance?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Because NF of the transistors are measured with 50Ohm termination that is quite away from Zs(opt).Therefore NFmin appears lower than NF@50Ohm.

Maybe I did not make my question clear enough...I am still wondering how different impedances affect the noise power sources in the devices and LNA's noise figure.

Last edited:

It is easeir to understand this at low freq.
Circuits may exibit more noise current or more noise voltage. Thus input noise depends on the resistance of the source. For low source resistance the noise current will have little effect but noise voltage will be dominant. For high source resistance the noise current will dominate. For example, FET may have small noise with high source resistance because they have near zero DC input current.

So there is some optimum source resistance for which input noise will be minimum. For RF freq it is more complicated because of complex impedance character.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Alex, thanks for sharing an interesting way of looking at this.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.