Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it ok to use two voltage regulators with same ground on single PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

czabhinav

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a design where I am planning to use two voltage regulators. In the design SIM900 will be interfacing with PIC microcontroller. So I am planning to use LM7805 for PIC18F2520 and LM2576 for SIM900. Is there any disadvantages of using two regulators. Will it create any problem. I am new to circuit design so need some help. The board will be powered with a 12v 4amps supply. I have attached a schematic of the power supply design.

1.JPG

Dear Friends,

I don't think that it will create any problems because you are using 12V and 4 Amp. power supply. But one thing I will suggest you if you will use low current rating power supply still it work fine. Both the circuit required less than 1 ampere power supply. So that you can use 12V, 1Amp power supply.

Hi,
Is it ok to use two voltage regulators with same ground
I´d say same GND is a MUST.

VBAT sounds like "battery", but I see no battery. Please check this.

D1: 1N4007. Read through LM2576 datasheet, especially through "diode selection". An 1N4007 usually is not suitable.

Capacitors: This alls seems to be electrolytic capacitors. Be sure to select high quality, low ESR, high frequency ones.
(I personally recommend to add ceramics capacitors)

Follow the PCB layout design rules for LM2576.

Read about power sequencing requirements of PIC and SIM900. If there are any doubt then add a schottky diode from the lower supply voltage (A) to the higher supply voltage (K).

Read if you need signal level translators if two devices (SIM900 and PIC) are powered from different voltages.

In any case you need a proper, solid GND plane. No "cut into pieces" copper pour.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back