Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2110 VCESAT Current protection for mosfet IGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cts_casemod

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am lookin into a way to disable IR2110 in case of a short circuit. I am working with 600VDC.

Some of the newer controllers have a VCE voltage detection, so when the IGBT is out of Saturation they drive the gate low. I am not sure how to do this with the Ir2110. Can I just use a resistir to measure the current? I would like to have a current limit mode as my capacitor bank if fairly large.

Thank you.

VCEsat-monitoring makes use of the relationship between drain source current and forward voltage indicated in the FET datasheets (output characteristic).The drain source voltage is detected by a fast high-voltage diode and compared to a reference value. If the reference value is exceeded, the error memory will be set and the transistor will be turned off. The transistor switch has to turn off within 10µs to prevent damage. Hope you found this usefull if so dont forget to press the helpedme button below.
regards ani

Reactions: JanIan

JanIan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
VCEsat-monitoring makes use of the relationship between drain source current and forward voltage indicated in the FET datasheets (output characteristic).The drain source voltage is detected by a fast high-voltage diode and compared to a reference value. If the reference value is exceeded, the error memory will be set and the transistor will be turned off. The transistor switch has to turn off within 10µs to prevent damage. Hope you found this usefull if so dont forget to press the helpedme button below.
regards ani

Hi picgak,

I understand it works, I just want to know a practical way to implement it into my power supply. What components shall I use? If I have a mosfet on the high side can I use an opto coupler?

Thanks, Carlos

Are you particular about using IR2110 there are other Drivers with vce sat sence input.

Last edited:

3918894300_1350304074.jpg

Just keep the PWM output in the 0-99% range for the bootstrap cap to recharge and it's all right

Attachments

• IR_H-bridge_P-N_Chan_V4.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 244
Desaturation detection works quite good for IGBT, but is almost useless for MOSFET, that are typically destroyed before desaturation will be detected. IRF has drivers like AUIRS2127 that implement desaturation sensing and shutdown.

JanIan

Hi cts_casemod,
Have a look at this circuit 3 resistors and diode connected to cs implements vcesat protection.Hope you found this usefull if so dont forget to press the helpedme button below.
regards ani

JanIan

Desaturation detection works quite good for IGBT, but is almost useless for MOSFET, that are typically destroyed before desaturation will be detected. IRF has drivers like AUIRS2127 that implement desaturation sensing and shutdown.

They are going to be used on 600 and 1.2KV IGBTs.

They are going to be used on 600 and 1.2KV IGBTs.
You wrote about 600VDC and IR2110 driver in your initial post. AUIRS2127 has the same bus voltage specification of 600V. Absolute maximum is 625V. That's in fact a bit narrow for 600 VDC working voltage, e.g. an inverter with 400 VAC input. To provide a higher overvoltage margin, you'll say farewell to IC bootstrap drivers and refer to more rugged isolation methods.

JanIan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back