Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 clone USB port overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaze1

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
icd2 clone usb

Hi everyone

I just purchased this ICD2 clone from sureelectronics:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I installed mplab v7.50 (docs says it works well with such release, I planned to upgrade after some tests) and everything was ok.

Without any target board the clone was recognized by the IDE either as debugger or programmer and pass selftest.

Ok, I was happy and went to the dinner :)

After dinner I prepared myself for the first serious test (program a 16f628 to blink a led) but when connect the clone to usb port (the same usb port I connected it before and always without any target board) the red error led switch on and there is an usb port overload :cry:.

Any idea ?

connecting usb to 16f628

Your USB port is probably weak. I have faced same problem with original ICD too. Try to connect 9V power supply through jack on ICD if it has one.

icd-2 clone usb

CMOS said:
Your USB port is probably weak. I have faced same problem with original ICD too. Try to connect 9V power supply through jack on ICD if it has one.

I think is a good idea.
Clone have no external power supply, but I want try an external powered usb hub.

But why there was no overload on the first time I plug clone on the usb ?

And I have always overload on the usb when I plug my mouse (It have an illuminated wheel as extra load) but after a warning mouse and port are usable anyway.

Plugging this clone make usb port and clone itself unavailable.

MazE

overloaded power socket funny

amaze1 said:
Plugging this clone make usb port and clone itself unavailable.
I guess something has gone wrong with your ICD2 then. Try it on a different computer and see if it works.

pickit 2 clone reloaded

CMOS said:
I guess something has gone wrong with your ICD2 then. Try it on a different computer and see if it works.

just tried on another notebook (with Vista) on 2 different usb ports: no signal from computer, Power green light on, but error red light on too :cry:

It seems to connect a simple target board doesn't solve :cry: :cry:

MazE

u.s.b. port overloadwarning.

The EEPROMs are not even used with current PICkit2 firmware. Try holding down the button while plugging it in to the USB port. Let MPLAB or PICkit2 software reload the firmware.

Your target PCB might be drawing too much current from your USB port.

usb icd2 pcb

blueroomelectronics said:
The EEPROMs are not even used with current PICkit2 firmware. Try holding down the button while plugging it in to the USB port. Let MPLAB or PICkit2 software reload the firmware.

Your target PCB might be drawing too much current from your USB port.

Thanks a lot for your interesting, but I have to say that ICD2 clone I received have no pushbutton, only the 3 led, so no way.

I'm reluctant to open the case since I have just contacted the manufacturer asking for help, maybe for a replace,
so I can't show you how this device is inside.

I'm VERY sad :cry: :cry: since I was waiting this device for a month and it may be the key part for developing funny and serious
things :idea: with only my laptop, a breadboard and some spare parts right on my living room, without using picstart+, a desktop pc
with serial, a power supply etc. in my cellar.

I already have etched pcb for potyo ICD2 clone, but when I saw this device on ebay from S.E. (in the past months I ordered
and received some GOOD parts from them) I didn't resist.

Using it without a target board can lead to troubles ?
I tried to connect to some simple 16f628 circuits without success.
An external powered usb hub didn't help at all :cry:

In the attached CD the only doc file about this icd is a list of supported pic device
and the link to the software is to the software tools of Microchip.
I followed the Microchip ICD2 instructions to install it.

See the picture below for the actual situation (clone plugged without any target, power and error leds are on)

MazE

icd2 clone vista

Last minute: SureElectronics replied to my help:

"... According to your information, the hex file in flash may be lost.
Do you have another programmer that could reprogram the MCU
18F4550 on board? We could send you the hex file and some
instruction to fix it."

Since I have an original Picstart plus do you know if an ICSP is possible connecting wires from the zif socket to the ICD2 clone board (hope there is a connector) ?

Maze

connecting icd 2 to board

Ok, SureElectronics just send me the hex file for the 18f4550 and explain that J2 connector is for its ICSP (indeed are just 5 pads, I have to solder molex or more probably socket pins to stay under the case cover comfortably), according to them 16F877 needs no re-flash (there is a J4 connector on the opposite side, I think it is for such purpose).

I'll use picstart+ with some (short) wires to reflash, hope it works.

If yes, could someone suggest me how to proceed after the ICD2 clone "resurrection" to avoid some common mistakes ?

I mean:

- can I use microchip directions about their original ICD2 for installing the clone ?

- for testing purpose can I use the ICD2 alone without connect a target board ?

- may be dangerous setting target board power supply from the ICD2 on first try ? (I don't remeber exactly when, but I did it for sure, so I suspect it is involved on the ICD2 fail)

- other common newbie errors ?

MazE

Success !! :D :D :D

Sorry for talking over myself, but this is a GOOD news.

I was able to reflash the 18f4550 with picstart+, some short wires from zif socket to soldered female pins on clone pcb, and my good old desktop PC (it has serial ports) with a MPLAB v7.50 installation (indeed the existing 5.70 was TOO old 8O ).

There was some troubles at first :? :
- code was protected so I have to reprogram entire device (change some settings on MPLAB)
- picstart+ vdd was not so good as USB vdd, so IMPORTANT use the USB as power supply for reflash (of course :!: remove the icsp vdd wire! :!: thanks to this post: )

I had some trouble also on setting a 16f628 as target device, since vdd test fails at first try, but seems to be good now, maybe I have to study manuals :D.

Thanks Sure Electronics for their support and all of you for your helps

MazE

Thats great news. Enjoy programming now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.