Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to store PCB boards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb storage boxes

Hi group,

I have a typical question other then technical.......i have just received my 12 layer telecom prototype boards after getting it assembled.Now the board is under testing stage......

I want to ask,generally where do people store their boards?
since handling of these boards need special care.

I have heard about some persons using Desiccators in order to avoid anything wrong going with the boards.

can anyone put more light on this issue???any other special method to store ???

Thanks and regards

wilson

Re: PCB Storage boxes

Hi wilson,
If it is a prototype board and you plan to place components and solder them manually, then no exagerated care is necessary. Just don't scratch it and do not spill anything on it. Clean it with alcohol before soldering components. However , in industrial environment, the storage issue is important because the moisture can form oxydes on the surface of the board, and becaue of this, in automatic placment and soldering environment, the components may not be sodered well, resulting poor or missing contacts. This is a bad problem, especially when dealing with complicated/high density circuits and packages, such as bga, flipchip and others. You can imagine that nobody cannot afford to clean oxydes in industrial environment. This is why boards need special attention, as well as the components. They come in sealed packages, and they are opened just before placing/soldering.

Best,
/pisoiu

Hi pisoiu,

My problem is that i have got my board after getting it assembled from third party......Now i am about to start JTAG testing of my board.But before this has to be done...i am doing configuration and some other functional tests on my board.
So i think it will take me around 20-25 days to fully Test my board and find out all the bugs which are there ....before board goes for mass production....

Now this board is lying outside with no proper tempearture controlled environment???

That is why i was asking that is there any container or box ,which could be used to store such PCB's.
since my concern is not only for this board.....i have 7-8 more boards coming up for testing.....

i hope u got my problem???

regards
Wilson

Got it. In my opinion, you don't have to take special care, other than obvious: keep away ESD, normal temperature and humidity (room environment), no spills. Here's an idea: put them in one of those bags in which computer mainboards are stored. This should be more than enough.

Best
/pisoiu

Hi,

If all the components has been mounted on the PCB board, an anti static bag will do. Those anti-static bag with a seal something like those zip lock bags would be an advantage compared to those without. However with this bag, the main reason is to prevent the components from damaging rather than the PCB board as it will not damage so easily.

Thanks.

If you worry that boards might be damaged in transit you should have specified to subcontractor how to pack them

Bake 30 mins 30 Deg C < 10% RH before packing
ESD packing
Dessicant in ESD bag
Humidity patch indicator
Vaccum Packed

A for risk to board while you work on it, standard precautions, ESD, mechanical damage and so on, leave boards in packing until absolutely needed.

But you should also consider the enviroment the board is designed to work in, if it is designed to woek at high ambient temp and RH then lying on a bench will not make any difference and so on

If it fail on the bench, below its designed operating limits, then it will also fail in the feild.

If you are worry about the board you can have one of those ESD boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back