Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Identify my Sim Card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nopodige

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...
I'm new to EDA Board..... am hoping for favourable response from u guys .....
I have a SIM Card (gold wafer)... written GEMPLUS on it .... how can i identify whether it is a memory card (synchronus) or microcontroller card (asynchronus):?:

Simply said: you have to try it out. That's also what a smart card reader does:
1st the reader applies a high frequency (1 - 5 MHz) to the card's clock pin, resets the card and tries to read the ATR (answer to reset) asynchronously. These are approx. 10 to 28 bytes, always starting with 0x3F or 0x3B.
If this isn't successful the reader tries out diverse synchronous protocols (I2C, 2-wire, 3-wire). An ATR of an synchronous card will be 4 bytes long (but sometimes can also be blank!).
Btw. if there's GEMPLUS written on the card I don't think it's a "Gold Wafer" card (perhaps a card with golden terminal pads). If it's a SIM card, perhaps from your cell phone, it's likely an asynchronous type.

1st the reader applies a high frequency (1 - 5 MHz) to the card's clock pin, resets the card and tries to read the ATR (answer to reset) asynchronously. These are approx. 10 to 28 bytes, always starting with 0x3F or 0x3B.1st the reader applies a high frequency (1 - 5 MHz) to the card's clock pin, resets the card and tries to read the ATR (answer to reset) asynchronously. These are approx. 10 to 28 bytes, always starting with 0x3F or 0x3B

thanks for the response .....

i followed the same steps as u said ..... i gave a clk frequency of 5Mhz... to the cards clock pin.... and applied reset ...... but there's no change in I/o pin of the card....its always zero....(ATR) ..can u pls give me the detailed procedure so that i can read ATR?

Smart cards are specified in ISO7816. A text version can be found here:
**broken link removed**
Esp. read chapters 2.3.3 and 2.3.4. Keep in mind that the reset signal can be active-low or active-high.

Hi ....

Thanks for the link u had given ..... it solved my problem ..... and hey i received ATR ...... as ATR: 3B 29 00 80 72 A4 45 64 00 FF 00 10 ........i found that the sim i'm using is GEMPLUS-MPCOS-3DES 8k.....
but i didnt get the electronic manual for GEMPLUS-MPCOS-3DES 8k.....at the same time i got the electronic manual for GEMPLUS-MPCOS-EMV ..... are both similar ...??

No. they are not similar. this specification is not available and you will not get it at all. dont try!!!

ya even i'm tried of searching ....it ... i feel now that i wasted a lot of time to search ..... do i have any alternative??.....i have to read the same SIM .....
but how ??

Status
Not open for further replies.