Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to extend Vin of a buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

arikp

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I am trying to find a way to simply extend the input voltage range of a TPS563200 device or alike that will enable input from 4.5V-21V instead of 4.5V-17V ( the original range of the device).
First coms in mind is a FET feeding the VDD of the device by controlling its gate using zener at fixed voltage. Drain is at Vin and Source feeds the device VDD. The problem is that I lose the VGSth margin so I can only work minimum from 4.5V + VGSth Which is above the original minimum I need.

I am looking for a trick that can get me the original minumum voltage back and still keep the FET.

I am looking for a very simple solution.

Thanks for the helpers ,

Arik.p.

Looks like you are developing this for some automotive application. Isn't it? Can you let me know what is the minimum input voltage you need to work with and whats the output voltage is?
Also why this higher voltage range of 21V? Is it for some regulatory requirement? Does the unit has to be functional when the input goes beyond 17V?

Hello ,

This is meant to be used in a USB3.1 application.

Thanks ,

Arik.P.

There is another option of looking into other buck regulators which can do the job. Example TPS54239EDDAR with same Eco mode from TI. It is 4.5V to 23V Input and 2-A output current.

Unless you're fine with significantly decreasing the power efficiency, you will have to find another IC.

Or put in a P-fet LDO, such that the P-fet blocks the overvolts until the volts fall to an acceptable level whereupon the P-fet can be fully on to reduce losses. We have designed P-fet LDO's to work from 160v to 15V after which they are fully on to give only 50mV drop (down to 8V in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back