Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a high frequency PLL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritika

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed a PLL works at a speed of GHz. For intial simulation i have taken simple divided by 2 counter. Now i am looking for perfect divider architecture for high frequency.

VCO output frequency is around 2GHz.

Previously i have worked on low frequency PLL and for that i used dual modulus based programmable counter.

Any of you please suggest me for hisgh frequency
1. what type of architecture
2. DFF architecture ------ as high frequeny series cmos based normal nand gate is not prefferd.
3. tips that can help me in design.

Thanks

GHz PLL

You need to tell us more...
What reference frequency? Switch speed ?
Range, or is it single frequency?

Simplest way is using ready made PLL IC which operates at above 4 GHz. You can get prescalers with dual modulus counting and then use simple CMOS logic.

Re: GHz PLL

Hello Ritika,

If you are ready to go with PLL IC solution, You can proceed by using ADF4106 from analog devices.It suits better for your operating frequency.

Sekhar

Hi, speed divider is usually named pre-scaler.

It doesn't work with full swing, but works with very low swing.

So all the Digtal cell can't be used here.

Hi,
Basically you need to know the specification like PLL step size, phase noise etc. You can have factional synthesizers too.

GHz PLL

probably u can try to use a latch-based divided-by-2 circuit. this is a analog design and a power hungry device. therefore, u should need to have your power budget.

this design will give u full swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back